Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Ok, New Wet Floor findings

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Ok, New Wet Floor findings

I just purchased a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We are putting another engine in it and I happened to feel the passenger side floor carpeting. Guess what ???, it was water soaked. It hasn't rained for about a week and I tested the heater core it shows good. So I cut out the carpet by removing the seat, dried the area and took the carpet piece inside to dryout. Next day Rain started and when it quit the floor board had about 2 ounces of water on it front of the seat bracket. So I checked out this thread and checked the sunroof drain, OK. Checked the antenna wall rubber ok. I then soaked the entire area of the passenger side and along the front above and below the windshield. It took a while but this is what I found to be happening, as the water ran around the front passenger side door that at the very front bottom of the weatherstripping that the water was building up slightly and draining to the inside floor board. Please see pics attached. SORRY for the long posting but just wanted everyone to understand what is happening here. The weatherstripping does not appear to be damaged. Could I just cut a little notch on the door side of the stripping to drain toward the door here ? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Ok, New Wet Floor findings-001.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2013, 09:50 AM

Ok, as I show in the 3rd Picture. The water appears to of been coming in in that area for a while. There is a discoloration on the weatherstripping. For some reason it is building up in that area and overflowing into the floorboard. The stripe appears in good shape, so I was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem and how they may of corrected it. I looked thru multiple forums and posts and this type of problem is Not addressed, there are other very common water inlet conditions shown but not this one. I know that probably replacing the weatherstripping would possibly stop it but I was going to notch or put a couple of cuts on the door side of the strip and hopefully it will redirect the water when it gets to that area and drain to the outside of the rocker panel. Hopefully this thread will help others with water problems instead of just saying, Check the heater core or antenna boot or sunroof drain damaged or blocked or a/c drain blocked. Which may be all Good reasons and probable causes but, Here is Another Problem that could be HAPPENING. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I know you've probably already checked this, but all I've got is check the adhesive seal between the weatherstrip and the door frame. I believe the strip covers a pinch weld and may have separated because of foot traffic.

I have a problem with the rear door gaskets on my 2000 WJ. They've shrunk and pulled loose from the body in the top rear quarter of the window area. I haven't had water enter the car, but my rear seat passengers complain about cold breezes on their necks. I was told by a body man this is caused by installing the gasket at high air temps and them shrinking in the cold. He said to try gluing them back down. IDK if this will work because I don't think they'll seal against the door where they touch now.

Last edited by dave1123; 10-19-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:06 PM

I rechecked it again today and it did the same so, I went ahead and cutout about a 1 1/2" strip of the weatherstripping so that it is coming straight down along the up and down side and alittle out of the base. I then resoaked the area with a garden hose for about 3-4 minutes as though it was extreme rain and the problem appears to be fixed. No water inside on the floorpan. Hopefully this will take care of the water problem. I'm in the Pittsburgh area and this was purchased for a work vehicle. So possibly the little bit of wind noise or cold air coming in that area will go unnoticed. Just as long as the carpeting stays dry. Tomorrow the replacement engine 4.0 goes in. Hopefully we found a good one and it runs for a few years. We brought it back from Buffalo, N.Y. yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails Ok, New Wet Floor findings-001.jpg   Ok, New Wet Floor findings-002.jpg  
Old 10-19-2013, 05:07 PM

Now it's draining like the drivers side. Just checked it again , being it's raining in Pittsburgh again