Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Oil pressure sending unit/oil sprayer

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Oil pressure sending unit/oil sprayer

So last night on my way over to a friends house I start to smell oil burning so I look at my oil pressure gauge and it's pegged at 100psi. I pull over and the sensor had sprayed hard enough through the sensor to break the plastic clip holding the wire plug on it. Then proceeded to hose down the engine compartment with oil. I was lucky that there was an autozone near by so I bought a sensor, wrench & oil. Fixed it in 5 minutes in the lot. What a day, of course it was like 104 degrees outside working in a hot engine compartment so that was fun. I've never seen this before but I guess I don't have top worry about anything under the hood rusting anymore

Miles
Old 07-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It's a common problem with someone striking the sensor with an oil filter wrench when changing the filter on the 4.0. Did you just have your oil changed at a fast change place? When I worked for Valvoline, the company stood behind the customers enough to make it right. I can't tell you how many times my manager said "Run to NAPA and get an oil pressure sensor for this." Then after the customer left, the technicion got his butt reamed. We even gave the customer the price of a car wash!

If you did have this problem, take your oil change receipt and the part receipt to the store and threaten to pursue litigation if they tell you to f*** off. It would be too costly to pursue, but the threat may get you somewhere.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Well I've only had the jeep for a few months and it's not my daily driver. The oil was changed about 2800 miles ago but was done before I owned it. I know I've had to replace like 3 other sensors so far so maybe it is just time to change them all lol

Miles