Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Oil leak from oil sending unit harness WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Oil leak from oil sending unit harness WTF?

I noticed that my oil pressure gauge was dipping from center line to the quarter line, then went to zero while driving on the freeway in the rain last night. I pulled over to see what I could see. I couldn't tell where the leak was coming from and the oil dipstick read low to no oil. I rushed to a nearby autozone and looked a bit more closely. It looked like the oil came from the BACK of the connector/harness that connects to the oil sending unit. So I bought a few quarts of oil and a new sending unit and got home asap.

Upon further inspection in daylight, the back (rubber ribbed gasket) of the harness always seems to want to "pop out" from the back of the harness. I initially replaced the sending unit with the new one I bought last night. But every time I snap the harness onto the sending unit, that rubber gasket pushes right back out as if there is some inherent pressure or some other object pushing it out. I cleaned off all the access oil and looked again and I couldn't see why this was happening. Of course when I start the engine, the oil leaks of of that back rubber gasket.

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this? Bad oil pump? Clogged/fouled oil filter? The Jeep Gods hate me? What?
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

replace the rubber gasket it's contaminated and swollen
Old 12-21-2010, 12:23 PM

Thank you for the reply, but does anyone know the official part name/number/nomenclature for this rubber gasket?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Originally Posted by Fuman Shoo
I noticed that my oil pressure gauge was dipping from center line to the quarter line, then went to zero while driving on the freeway in the rain last night. I pulled over to see what I could see. I couldn't tell where the leak was coming from and the oil dipstick read low to no oil. I rushed to a nearby autozone and looked a bit more closely. It looked like the oil came from the BACK of the connector/harness that connects to the oil sending unit. So I bought a few quarts of oil and a new sending unit and got home asap.

Upon further inspection in daylight, the back (rubber ribbed gasket) of the harness always seems to want to "pop out" from the back of the harness. I initially replaced the sending unit with the new one I bought last night. But every time I snap the harness onto the sending unit, that rubber gasket pushes right back out as if there is some inherent pressure or some other object pushing it out. I cleaned off all the access oil and looked again and I couldn't see why this was happening. Of course when I start the engine, the oil leaks of of that back rubber gasket.

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this? Bad oil pump? Clogged/fouled oil filter? The Jeep Gods hate me? What?

They don't hate you, they don't like you, that's all!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

there should be no oil there, replace the sender
Old 12-22-2010, 01:36 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6

I really do not think they just sell the rubber gasket. Just get a new one. They are cheap.