Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

odd transmission probelms

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default odd transmission probelms

I have a 1995 grand cherokee with 5.2 and auto trans awd. when it is being driven in drive it seems to slip into a non drive gear or almost feels like its in between gears? kinds of bogs down and won't go. But if you switch it into neutral then back to drive it is fine for a few seconds then does it again.
I was approximately 6 miles from home and had to keep doing this shifting to get it home. I called a local trans shop and he told me it sounds electronic and not trans directly but as I told him it smelled like burnt trans fluid and burnt clutch at the same time. Any help would be appreciated as we are moving from NH to California next month. We would like to have it fixed prior to shipping it. Thank You, Mark

Please feel free to email me if you know what this may be or if you have questions mark-mitch@hotmail.com
Old 07-11-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

What gear does this happen in, or does it do that in all forward gears. Anyway its not sounding too good for you when you have burnt smelling fluid. Chances are if it was electronic you would have codes, but the 46RH trans's electronic functions are controlling the T/C lock up and O/D shifts only.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 V8

You might just want to drop the pan and drain what's in there, top it off and change the filter and gasket if they're old and see what happens. If it smells burnt I don't know if I would want to flush completely, especially if that's a fluid change you don't do often and with the years and miles on it. If you wanted, while your under there, you could replace the governor pressure solenoid and sensor as these are prone to fail eventually. I believe the overdrive solenoid is in there as well. But, that just depends on how much money you want to put into it and what you're willing to do. Either way, I think changing some of the fluid and the filter is a good start. And don't forget to adjust the kickdown cable as well.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tranny use to slip between 1 and 2nd, then one day this winter driving home, I lost the drive gear all together. It went into limp mode drove it home.

I drove it to my mechanic, and we totally flushed the tranny using a bucket, tossed a new filter in it with new Mopar ATF, and it shifts like butter now. It feels like brand new tranny.

All it takes to hang up a valve body or governor is a small piece of debris floating in the fluid sometimes.

Flush the tranny first, and change the fluid along with the tranny filter. It might be okay after that.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:54 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You can get a better status from what you find in the pan. If you've get clutch material flakes or metal sparklies in the fluid, it's time for a rebuild.