Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

No oil pressure

Old 10-30-2015, 02:46 PM
  #1  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Slim357's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington,NC
Posts: 3,004
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default No oil pressure

I just picked up a 1997 Grand Cherokee 4.0 for $300. Got it running finally and the engine was knocking and had no oil pressure. Im assuming it may be the oil pump but wanted some opinions before I tear the engine open. What could cause this that I am over looking?
Slim357 is offline  
Old 10-30-2015, 04:21 PM
  #2  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1
Default

Originally Posted by Slim357 View Post
I just picked up a 1997 Grand Cherokee 4.0 for $300. Got it running finally and the engine was knocking and had no oil pressure. Im assuming it may be the oil pump but wanted some opinions before I tear the engine open. What could cause this that I am over looking?
It is most likely a faulty Oil Pressure Sending Unit. If it actually had no oil pressure the engine would seize. The knocking could be any one of many other problems. Get a direct reading pressure gauge to confirm if you actually have oil pressure. The Sending Units are not expensive. NAPA sells one equivalent to the Original Factory Sending Unit and for not much more a better unit.

Last edited by jlrsn; 10-30-2015 at 04:28 PM.
jlrsn is offline  
Old 10-30-2015, 09:59 PM
  #3  
CF Veteran
 
dave1123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Manlius, east of Syracuse, NY
Posts: 11,299
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

First stupid question, does it have oil in it? How long has it been sitting before it was fired up? It's possible the pump has lost it's prime and isn't picking it up. See if the filter is full. If not, crank it over without the filter on it. DON'T LET IT FIRE UP when doing this or you might get a bath! Without restrictions, the pump may start pumping if that's the problem. If you have oil flow, I would suspect major bearing damage. If it was just the gauge sender, it wouldn't be knocking. JMHO.
dave1123 is offline  
Old 10-31-2015, 08:02 PM
  #4  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Slim357's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington,NC
Posts: 3,004
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by dave1123 View Post
First stupid question, does it have oil in it? How long has it been sitting before it was fired up? It's possible the pump has lost it's prime and isn't picking it up. See if the filter is full. If not, crank it over without the filter on it. DON'T LET IT FIRE UP when doing this or you might get a bath! Without restrictions, the pump may start pumping if that's the problem. If you have oil flow, I would suspect major bearing damage. If it was just the gauge sender, it wouldn't be knocking. JMHO.

Engine is full of oil lol. Jeep was sitting for about 6-7 months. It was not doing this b4 it was parked. My sister in law own the Jeep before me.
Slim357 is offline  
Old 11-01-2015, 10:51 PM
  #5  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Slim357's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington,NC
Posts: 3,004
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Here's an update there's definitely no oil flow thru the engine. Its got a loud clacking sound when running. I suspect it's the valves from not having oil on them. It's definitely coming from the top end on the driver's side of the engine.
Slim357 is offline  
Old 11-02-2015, 12:34 AM
  #6  
CF Veteran
 
dave1123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Manlius, east of Syracuse, NY
Posts: 11,299
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Okay, here's something you can try without tearing apart the engine. Take the oil pressure sender out and force oil under pressure into that fitting. I suggest a tank with oil in it pressurized by a air hose or a pump of some sort. That should fill the oil system with oil, pump, lifters, and bearings. Then replace the sender and try starting it. You may need to pressurize it for awhile because of the check valve in the filter, but that may not be sealing well if the oil drained back out of it.

I would suspect the problem is the pump has lost it's prime by the oil draining out of it and it's worn just enough to not pull a vacuum enough to pick it up from the pan. JMHO.
dave1123 is offline  
Old 11-02-2015, 07:02 AM
  #7  
CF Veteran
 
Bugout4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,475
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Slim357 View Post
I just picked up a 1997 Grand Cherokee 4.0 for $300. Got it running finally and the engine was knocking and had no oil pressure. Im assuming it may be the oil pump but wanted some opinions before I tear the engine open. What could cause this that I am over looking?

I have seen this problem in a few Chevy vehicles because the distributor drive shaft has broken below the gear and no longer driving the oil pump. It is kind of uncommon in our type of oil pump driveshaft but I have seen it happen a few times on Chevys with the similar drive system.


Just something else to take a look at. .
Bugout4x4 is offline  
Old 11-02-2015, 08:42 AM
  #8  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Slim357's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington,NC
Posts: 3,004
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by dave1123 View Post
Okay, here's something you can try without tearing apart the engine. Take the oil pressure sender out and force oil under pressure into that fitting. I suggest a tank with oil in it pressurized by a air hose or a pump of some sort. That should fill the oil system with oil, pump, lifters, and bearings. Then replace the sender and try starting it. You may need to pressurize it for awhile because of the check valve in the filter, but that may not be sealing well if the oil drained back out of it.

I would suspect the problem is the pump has lost it's prime by the oil draining out of it and it's worn just enough to not pull a vacuum enough to pick it up from the pan. JMHO.
Ill give this a try asap. Thanks for the advice.
Slim357 is offline  
Old 11-02-2015, 08:43 AM
  #9  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Slim357's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington,NC
Posts: 3,004
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4 View Post

I have seen this problem in a few Chevy vehicles because the distributor drive shaft has broken below the gear and no longer driving the oil pump. It is kind of uncommon in our type of oil pump driveshaft but I have seen it happen a few times on Chevys with the similar drive system.

Just something else to take a look at. .
I hope it's not that. I'll take a look tho.
Slim357 is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 06:39 AM
  #10  
CF Veteran
 
dave1123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Manlius, east of Syracuse, NY
Posts: 11,299
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default

I thought about that, but you said it was running when she parked it, so I didn't mention it.

If you pull the drive gear, make sure it's timed right when you put it back in.
dave1123 is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 08:25 AM
  #11  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Slim357's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington,NC
Posts: 3,004
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by dave1123 View Post
I thought about that, but you said it was running when she parked it, so I didn't mention it.

If you pull the drive gear, make sure it's timed right when you put it back in.
Ya it had a lifter tick when she parked it but that was it. Should be fun retiming it lol.
Slim357 is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 12:11 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
CherokeeHoonigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Lennox/Sioux Falls South Dakota
Posts: 892
Year: 1992.1994
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6 "the beast"
Default

Change oil, check sending unit, and it could be an oil pump as all previous replies have stated

Last edited by CherokeeHoonigan; 11-05-2015 at 10:09 AM.
CherokeeHoonigan is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 11:30 PM
  #13  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Slim357's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington,NC
Posts: 3,004
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by CherokeeHoonigan View Post
Chang oil, check sending unit, and it could be an oil pump as all previous replies have stated
Hoping to work on it this weekend. Will let y'all know what I find.
Slim357 is offline  
Old 11-22-2015, 02:33 PM
  #14  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Slim357's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington,NC
Posts: 3,004
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Um a broken piston skirt wouldn't cause me to have no oil pressure would it? Found the number 6 piston skirt in the oil pan today. What would cause this?
Slim357 is offline  
Old 11-23-2015, 01:06 PM
  #15  
CF Veteran
 
Bugout4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,475
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Slim357 View Post
Um a broken piston skirt wouldn't cause me to have no oil pressure would it? Found the number 6 piston skirt in the oil pan today. What would cause this?

I would think that the no oil pressure problem caused the broken skirt.
Bugout4x4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No oil pressure


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: