Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Newbie! Help me know what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK)
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Default Newbie! Help me know what to look for

Got my 2005 GC a few months ago specifically to tow behind an RV, for use when we get where we're going!

Had a bit of a rear end howl, which was noticable, but not obnoxious up to about 60 mph. By 65, you couldn't hear the person riding shotgun.

Took it to the dealer for inspection/diagnosis. Call came in, saying when they pulled the cover off the rear end, the parts fell out. [Seems a trifle unlikely.]

So, naturally the dealer want $3K to rebuild it. And I'm trying to identify an alternative.

My GC has 4WD, 3.73 ratio rear, 213mm axles, "elect ltd slip differential". Attached is part of the Build Sheet Chrysler provided me.

Is there a range of years vehicles running around on the same hardware? Do I understand some Dodge pickups may have identical rear ends, and be candidate donors? Best price I've found for a 2005 GC rear is $881 + shipping, and it has 205K miles! If other years are interchangeable, or other makes and models out of the Chrysler fold are potential donors, it may be easier to find an axle.

Should I search just for a replacement differential? Or get a full axle assembly?

Thanks for any guidance.

Mike
Old 08-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

WAIT!!! You can't flat tow that jeep! Not without pulling BOTH driveshafts out first! You could "dolly" the front after pulling the rear shaft, but even that will put unusual wear on the rear diff.

As far as fixing it, you can't just get a diff because it's part of the axle housing. $881 doesn't seem unreasonable for a specific used axle for that beast. The mileage is a bit high, but you may not find too many out there either. I paid $550 for a regular open differential D35 for my 2000 WJ that had 65K on it and that was an excellent find!
Old 08-08-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK)
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Default Live n Learn . . .

Thanks, Dave, for the perspective on price. I had seen discussion on the forum of rear axles for between$200 and $300, with a couple hundred more for installation. Presumably those were not WK's of similar setup.

About the flat towing. Is there still a danger if we put the transfer case into neutral, via the "pin-point" switch? The owner's manual offers that as a condition of "recreational towing".

Strangely, when we put it in Neutral, we get a message on the dash saying "SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM". But the same Chrysler/Jeep shop that just drained the diff reports no 4WD service is due, and they get no error codes. Anybody have a perspective on that?
Old 08-09-2018, 07:13 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

We are dealing with a 2005 and my experience is with jeeps up to 2004, specifically WJs. IDK what they contrived to install in 05 or how you can tow it. If it's got a neutral t/case shift point, that only disconnects the transmission from the driveline. Your 2 driveshafts are still spinning and driving the chain and gears inside the t/case. Today's cars are so complicated that AAA will not tow any 4wd or AWD cars, but flatbed them instead. The only cars they will flat tow if needed are front wheel drive cars with the front end lifted off the road.

You CAN get an axle for $200, but you have to pull it yourself and you can't open it up before you pay for it. If it's bad, you get another one if you bring it back. We are talking about a normal axle without special equipment like an electric locker or the like.