Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Old 06-11-2012, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Newbie

Hi Guys, I'm new to the JGC forum so be gentle.
I have a couple of issues, and was wondering if you guys can sort me out.
Ive just taken purchase of a 2002 JGC 4.7 V8 79k on the odometer. There were a few electrical problems that were pointed out to me at the sale, but easily fixed. However it has come to my attention that one of the problems, namely the Heater Blower Resistor. I have a spare on order and should arrive in todays post. Is there anything I should look out for when fitting it.
Yesterday, I took the car for a long journey, around 300 miles round trip. Everything was chipper, drove smooth as could be, however I stopped to refuel in Edinburgh, and as sson as I got on to the M8, the car started belching and spluttering. At first I thought it was the auto transmission, as it seemed to slam down the gears and lurch. I drove into a nearby stop and looked over the car, but nothing appeared amiss, except the vehicle servicing light came on, and remained on. After carrying on, it seemed to get better, but as sson as I slowed down for traffic lights etc, the down gearing continued, then eased off again. I eventually arrived home, but still concerned. I can only assume, that I got some s*** fuel in the system from the last petrol stop. Would bad fuel cause the above symptoms.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF. Regarding the heater blower, read this: http://www.wjjeeps.com/blower_motor.htm
Regarding the other issue, it could be bad fuel, or something else. Check to see if any trouble codes are stored. Here's how: http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm#ERASE
If nothing is found, you may have to have the fuel tested, and then drain the tank if the fuel is found to be bad. Or take it in and have it done for you. I believe they have to drop the tank to do this correctly.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Cool Fuel

Thanks for the info my friend. Today the car went into the local Jeep Dealer, here in Aberdeen. The mechanics put some fuel derivative through the system, but also found a burst hose on the engine side of the fuel injector punp. This has been temporarily taped up until a replacement can be ordered. Driving it back home was a joy, so I think this has cured the problem, no more harsh down changing on the autu box, everything lovely and smooth.

PS The derivative is called Forte +
Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Glad to hear that burst hose didn't cause a fire, or the problem wasn't water in the fuel. That could have been expensive to deal with.