Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New ZJ in the driveway!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New ZJ in the driveway!!!

So my girlfriends has been harping on me to get her a jeep for a while now. She originally wanted some form of a Wrangler but i just dont see the practicallity in those things what so ever. So we started looking at XJ's... Then she saw a ZJ with a 7'' Clayton Long arm kit and it was OVER from there lol.

Its a 1993 ZJ with the 5.2 V8 Laredo
2'' Rough Country Lift
31x10.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ's
15'' Mickey Thompson Simulated beadlocks

Truck runs great! And more importantly she LOVES it! lol

A few small issues with it tho...

#1. Speedo works most of the time but sometimes not... Not sure what this could be yet.
#2. Needs window regulators on both drivers side windows.
#3. It is the all-time 4WD model and shifting into 4LO causes and pretty nasty clunk in the drivers side front knuckle and is very hard to stop in 4LO... May just need pads but i havent checked them yet.
#4. When the previous owner installed and aftermarket radio the digital read out thing that shows the vehicle and what gear the transfer case is in stopped working and does not light up anymore.
#5. The key fob to unlock the doors remotely does not work. So i locked the doors last night and opened the drivers door with the key which caused the alarm to go off. I figured out to put the key in the back hatch and it will shut the alarm off but the truck had trouble starting after that. It would turn over fine but would not keep fire unless i gave it some fuel. Did this 3 or 4 times but seems to be fine now...?

Any input on these little issues would be greatly appriciated!!! This is my first ZJ so my slate is clean as far as knowledge about them. I will post some pics for yall in a few.
Thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:20 PM

pics
Attached Thumbnails New ZJ in the driveway!!!-img_6356.jpg   New ZJ in the driveway!!!-img_8030.jpg   New ZJ in the driveway!!!-img_2505.jpg   New ZJ in the driveway!!!-img_8860.jpg  
Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 PM

more
Attached Thumbnails New ZJ in the driveway!!!-img_3341.jpg   New ZJ in the driveway!!!-img_6155.jpg   New ZJ in the driveway!!!-img_7286.jpg  
Old 02-13-2012, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9

Niiice.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:29 PM

Oh yea... and i only gave $2500 for it!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Congrats on your purchase. Looks great, great deal.
Here's my thoughts on your issues:
1. Could be either the speed sensor, or an issue with the wiring going to it.
2. Could be a problem in the control panel in the drivers door, or a break in the wiring in the door jamb in the rubber "sock". Test with a jumper wire or meter.
3. Also check the CV/u-joint at the hub for wear/damage.
4. It may just be unplugged.
5. Have you tried to take the remote apart and replace the battery? Could just be dead, or maybe a blown fuse.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:42 PM

Year: 93
Engine: 5.2L

Nice. Good looking GC.

#5 - Did you unhook the battery while you where messing with the alarm system? One on the manuals I have says the PCM has to relearn the idle air control following a battery disconnect. It takes a couple starts to reprogram it. Just my 2 cents...

Mark
Old 02-13-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L

a ZJ and a 12 valve? great minds think alike lol
Old 02-14-2012, 01:31 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by TN12valve
So my girlfriends has been harping on me to get her a jeep for a while now. She originally wanted some form of a Wrangler but i just dont see the practicallity in those things what so ever. So we started looking at XJ's... Then she saw a ZJ with a 7'' Clayton Long arm kit and it was OVER from there lol.

Its a 1993 ZJ with the 5.2 V8 Laredo
2'' Rough Country Lift
31x10.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ's
15'' Mickey Thompson Simulated beadlocks

Truck runs great! And more importantly she LOVES it! lol

A few small issues with it tho...

It most likely is not the window regs themselvs but the wiring that goes to them.. check the wires in the black boot that connects the door to the car and look real carefully for broken wires.. If menory servies its the black one that usually brecks..

#1. Speedo works most of the time but sometimes not... Not sure what this could be yet.
#2. Needs window regulators on both drivers side windows.
#3. It is the all-time 4WD model and shifting into 4LO causes and pretty nasty clunk in the drivers side front knuckle and is very hard to stop in 4LO... May just need pads but i havent checked them yet.
#4. When the previous owner installed and aftermarket radio the digital read out thing that shows the vehicle and what gear the transfer case is in stopped working and does not light up anymore.
#5. The key fob to unlock the doors remotely does not work. So i locked the doors last night and opened the drivers door with the key which caused the alarm to go off. I figured out to put the key in the back hatch and it will shut the alarm off but the truck had trouble starting after that. It would turn over fine but would not keep fire unless i gave it some fuel. Did this 3 or 4 times but seems to be fine now...?

Any input on these little issues would be greatly appriciated!!! This is my first ZJ so my slate is clean as far as knowledge about them. I will post some pics for yall in a few.
Thanks!
It most likely is not the window regs themselvs but the wiring that goes to them.. check the wires in the black boot that connects the door to the car and look real carefully for broken wires.. If menory servies its the black one that usually brecks..
The full time transfer case does not like to be shifted unless the vehicle is moving less than 4 miles an hour.ll thats pretty slow and just barely moving, Even then it will clunk as there are no sincros on the gears to easy the movement from one gear to another.

I would suggest you get yourself a manual from the Tradebit.com site, you can download entire OEM service mauals for less than $12 and then you always have them on the computer to print as you need it.. The price has gone up some in the last few months as mine was only $9 just last year, still a great bargain.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Luvnevryminutofit
Nice. Good looking GC.

#5 - Did you unhook the battery while you where messing with the alarm system? One on the manuals I have says the PCM has to relearn the idle air control following a battery disconnect. It takes a couple starts to reprogram it. Just my 2 cents...

Mark
yes i did and that makes sense because it was hard starting 2 or three times after i did that... But is starting and running fine now! Thanks for the great advise!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:03 PM

Took apart the key remote this morning and not to my surprise... no battery at all! I think ill go get one today and see if it works. This weekend i will be tearing it down to look at brakes and CVs so i will let yall know how all that turns out! All of your help is much appriciated!
Old 02-14-2012, 04:40 PM

i have a 95 zj limited and I bough it without a key fob. When I lock the doors the alarm sets and when I open it all i have to do is insert the key into the driver side door and turn it all the way to the right and then all the way to the left and it will not set off the alarm.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:31 PM

Here you go E-Rok... Got a quick pic of both the beasts!!!
Attached Thumbnails New ZJ in the driveway!!!-image-861735467.jpg  
Old 02-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 5.2 V8

Clean a$$ lookin ZJ,Awsome price tag
Old 02-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking ZJ. I like the red. If you need any parts I've been beefing up our ZJ section for you guys, as I replace stuff on my 97.

Here's a link to the window regulators that we carry for it Jeep Grand Cherokee Window Regulators