Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New Here And Have A Couple Questions??

Old 04-15-2011, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question New Here And Have A Couple Questions??

O.K. I just picked up a 97 Jeep Cherokee or limited or i am not sure??? (I am new to jeeps and this will be the first one i own) i can't figure out how to tell? the Jeep has no emblems or anything on it or manual to tell me which vehicle it is. it has a 5.2 V8 and is fully loaded with every option i think they could come with in 97. so first question is how do i tell which style i have? I had a couple issues when i first picked it up and fixed most of them here are the problems i can't figure out or i am not a 100% on so hopefully someone can chime in and give me some advice. 2.) The Jeep runs great but when i come to a stop the idle seems rough, i am just wondering what the idle should be set at or if there is something else i need to look at? 3.) The rear hatch glass doesn't seem to have a button to open it is there another way or do i need to fix or replace something or is it just hidden. 4.)The passenger side door panel was wrecked when i got it, so i picked up a new one and i can't seem to get it on as soon as i get the top snapped in the bottom seems not to go in, if i push it in the top pops out, what is the trick? and last but not least, well for now 5.) while driving the ride seems like it should be a lot smoother then it is and i have a noise that kind of sounds like the ocean??? coming from the back maybe something rubbing on the drive shaft?? not sure any one can help with any of these i would be great full.. Thanks!!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Just That Awesome

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Take the VIN to a dealer and they can give you a full vehicle print out. You will also know more from the vin because it will have XJ, ZJ, WJ, etc
Old 04-16-2011, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF.
1. Since you have the 5.2L V8 you have the Grand Cherokee which is the ZJ.
If the lower body cladding and rear view mirrors are the same color as the rest of the body you have the Limited model. If the cladding is a grey color you probably have the Laredo model.
2. Your Idle Air Control motor might be causing your issue.
3. All models didn't come with the "flipper" rear hatch glass. Some didn't open. If yours does open, the button is in the license plate recess at the top.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: V8

I have a 93 Limited, the 318 has never impressed me with its idle, coming for Chevy, it just does not idle smoothly.
My rear glass does not open by itself.
All of the door side panels suck. If there is any warp in them, they dont like to stay put.
Ride...its a Jeep, you need to look for something tolerable, not butter smooth.

Welcome to the fraternity
Ron
Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Welcome to CF.
1. Since you have the 5.2L V8 you have the Grand Cherokee which is the ZJ.
If the lower body cladding and rear view mirrors are the same color as the rest of the body you have the Limited model. If the cladding is a grey color you probably have the Laredo model.
My 98 Laredo has body colored cladding and a guy at work has a Limited that has black/grey body cladding and his mirrors are black, like my Laredo. The rubbing from the rear could be the pinion bearing going bad, this seems to be a problem with the 44a rear end since the center section is alum. (if you have a 44a)

Last edited by drakan1908; 04-20-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by drakan1908
My 98 Laredo has body colored cladding and a guy at work has a Limited that has black/grey body cladding and his mirrors are black, like my Laredo. The rubbing from the rear could be the pinion bearing going bad, this seems to be a problem with the 44a rear end since the center section is alum. (if you have a 44a)
That's very odd, as the Limited package came with body colored cladding, and the Laredo didn't. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Grand_Cherokee
It's possible it could have been ordered that way, or switched before you bought it.
And x2 on the pinion bearings.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:58 PM

thanks for all the replies i haven't been on here bc i was suppose to get emails when i got replies and i never saw any so i figured i would see whats up.. Anyway the color of the jeep is completly black not sure if it has been repainted or not but i did look up the color code and it only shows one code, As far as the rear glass goes, i looks like it opens because it does have the pistons but then again they would put them there if it didn't... lol... i am still struggling with trying to get this darm passenger side door panel on, it is giving me a good run!! when i bought the thing it didn't run right it was leaking all over the place the radio is missing so i have been slowly fixing it up to by my daily driver, as i have a F-450 which lets face it diesel isn't coming down any time soon so i hate driving it everywhere. i am going to get down and dirty with this thing tomorrow to see if i can button up most of the lose ends that i have, and go from there other then those issues i think it will be a good find. so what are some good sites to find upgrades and parts for this thing i think i might want to upgrade the intake system and maybe a computer, what is everyone getting as far as MPG?? let me know thanks! o i will post pix when i get a chance tomorrow so you can see my project
Old 04-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 5.2

I got a 93 zj with the 5.2 and im getting around 10 to 12 mpg have fun
Old 04-25-2011, 09:23 AM
CF Veteran

My '97 ZJ w/the 5.2 V8 was getting about 13 MPG city, and 17-20 MPG highway depending on driving style and speed. When towing w/OD disengaged it would only get about 13-14 MPG highway.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:47 AM

I was hoping to get at least 13mpg but we will see once the jeep is done i just need to get that darn Passenger side door panel on but today i am going to be doing some paint prep work
Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

It drinks the gas in stop and go traffic. It's much better when it gets into overdrive.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 PM

do you know of any sites that sell the little random items like interior plastics and pieces? i am having not luck finding anything.. thanks

Btw i did get the door panel on after about 30 minutes of man handling it and some new clips... but it works!