Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New to Forum, New to Jeeps, New to 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2l
Default New to Forum, New to Jeeps, New to 4x4

Found this little jewel on Craigslist for a good price... 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi... anything running on Craigslist is worth at least $1000 here in Tucson... It was in a slow speed roll over, Salvaged title, blown motor, body panel damage... dented roof... he replaced the motor with a 80K 5.2L it has the NP249 TC. put new fenders, new passenger doors (front says Grand Cherokee Laredo) and a new hood... and painted it with bed liner spray paint... took it out and had fun with it and realized he couldn't afford to keep it due to a title loan taken out to buy it against his other GC... Hence the deal I got on CL...
Now to the questions. First of all let me say what a resource this forum has been in getting this thing running good for a DD... Thank you to all.
I know is has a Procomp 3" coil lift kit on it due to researching the lift and seeing the trailing arms, shocks and front track bar drop bracket. But it also has 1.5" spacers on top of the springs? Does this mean I have a 4.5" lift?
Occasionally, when I put it in either F or R I get an audible "PING" from the front, I am guessing it is from the links hitting the coil? I have seen other threads that suggest longer links, but I need to know how much of a lift I have to know what length links to get, right? I also need to know the lift height to do the front end camber adjustment.
I don't want to get started on the condition I got this ZJ in (I could post my "diary" later) all I will say is bolts missing, tightened, a few bushings and mounts go a looooong way.

I also know from reading this forum that a post is no good without pics... so here you go

PS: I tend to ramble, forgive me in advance

Skippy

Front Coil

Front Passenger Link

Rear Coil

adjustable rear track bar

how it sits

really? I read they are rare, but the vin matches the door to the window?
Old 05-16-2015, 10:38 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2 V8

Congrats on getting your first ZJ! As far as howmuch lift you actually have it`s hard to say exactly. My son and I always take before and after measurements when we install a lift. Have done several, both spacers and lift coils. Everything settles after you run it some for your final lift height. I have 3 inch lift coils the front of my 96 ZJ. Swapped the stock front coils to the rear. I also have the 5.2 and 249 TC. Got about 2.5 inches of lift in the front. about the same in the rear. Liking your Wrangler rims btw.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

Okay, from what I've determined the TSi was built for the European market, meaning it meets European standards for emissions. Whether it was actually shipped and brought back is anyone's guess. It's supposed to have the 5.2 Magnum V8, the 44re transmission, and the NP/NV249 t/case. When searching for parts, you may have to specify that it's a export model.

As watertrucker said, the only real way to know about the lift is to measure the distance from the top of the axle to the frame on yours compared to a stock suspension. You can't go by the bump stops because they many have been replaced. The CAMBER angle is built into the axle itself at the ball joint yoke and can only be changed with offset ball joints. The CASTER angle is determined by the lower control arm length and a cam bolt on the frame mounted end. Factory setting is 7* plus-or-minus 1/2*. The best I can tell by your pics is you have replacement lower control arms in the front that are round. Are they adjustable? If so, it should not be a problem to adjust them to specs. Your upper front control arms look stock and are weak in design. I think they need to be replaced by something stronger if you're planning a lot of off-roading. The extended sway bar links are strong but make sure that bolt that attaches them to the sway bar is grade 8 or better.

After the rollover, you may have a lot of mysterious body squeaks and possible water leaks, but it looks good otherwise. Enjoy.

Last edited by dave1123; 05-16-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:51 PM

Engine: 5.2l

Watertrucker:
the wrangler rims were a big selling point for me... knowing I could easily make my money back if the Jeep blew up after a cragslist gamble... lol. HOw do I find stock height?

Dragon:
You are right, I meant Caster... ooops... and yes they are adjustable. see attached pic.
It has the 5.2 and 249 (after reading I want to do the 231 swap), and passed emissions with flying colors... I do search TSi but most cross references to the Laredo either way...
How do I find what stock lift is? (I will search after I post)
I won't do a ton of off road (I do live off a 2 mile dirt road near a wash) but want the option to strap up and go when I want to so upppers are on the list..
There was a roof rack on top that took much of the damage and as far as water leaks it only rains a few days in Tucson a year... The first time it did I marked and RTVed for now... last night a freak storm blew though and no leaks! YAY!
I will say that the transmission mount was the best 30 bucks I have spent on it! I will say this for all vehicles, motor and tranny mounts are the best investment!
All in all it's a good vehicle. It needed ALOT of TLC, almost every day for the last 4 weeks wrenching on it (with more to do)

My wife and daughter say I am going through "a phase".

I will be a regular on this forum, it was a HUGE help... so much more I want to do, go the time, not the $... LOL

Thanks!
Skippy