Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New Exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New Exhaust ?

I own a 95 Grand Cherokee Limited and my exhaust fell off. So now I'm looking for a new one. I loved the sound when it was off but cant run with it due to some legal issues . So my problem is 1. i need a new exhaust. 2. i want it to be loud. 3. (The professional)aka dad says that a loud exhaust will ruin my engine.

So my ? is do loud exhausts ruin engines and if it doesn't then what system should i get?

Thanks

oh and the sound I'm looking for is old drag racing muscle car. if its even possible
Old 06-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

You didn't specify where it fell off at, but take a look at a Dynomax cat back. They're around $125 at the parts store, less if you have a discount code. And if you purchase it before 31 August you'll get $75 back from Dynomax...
Old 06-18-2011, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2 V8, Dual cold air, dual batts, E-fan, Sanden OBA

It doesn't hurt the engine if your exhaust is "loud"- but lack of backpressure can make you suck a valve or worse which generally is rare. And on the v8 zjs you are fine. All three of my zjs I have ran with it cutoff before the cat, due to good reasons of course- but it IS illegal to not have a catalytic converter. Just go with a high flow cat and a 40 series magnaflow- you will love it
Old 06-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by customzj73
It doesn't hurt the engine if your exhaust is "loud"- but lack of backpressure can make you suck a valve or worse ...
Please elaborate, I ask because as written it reads like extreme misinformation.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by blackjack12982
You didn't specify where it fell off at, but take a look at a Dynomax cat back. They're around $125 at the parts store, less if you have a discount code. And if you purchase it before 31 August you'll get $75 back from Dynomax...

He wants loud. Not slightly louder and throatier then stock. If you want loud then get a glasspack or a Flowmaster 40 series.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJ D
Please elaborate, I ask because as written it reads like extreme misinformation.
well the first time i cut off my exhaust right before the cat on my 93 V8 zj(basically where the headers come down and meet) i was told numerous times i would suck a valve and what not. i ran it like that for 6 months with no problems. then did it on my second zj as well because i loved how loud it was. So i was led to believe that sucking a valve was possible, well i just did some research after the above comment and needless to say i believe i was wrong so my bad. It seems to be another myth.... anyways you can do damge to your exhaust manifolds by eliminating to much backpressure. you also will lose low end torque and it killed my gas mileage as well by about 3-5mpgs. If you really want it loud and you want to have proper backpressure as well then put on a high flow cat then strait pipe it to the back without a muffler. it will still sound almost the same as it does now except you will have backpressure and a cat. I ran this setup on my current zj for about 4 months and loved it-then i just got sick of how loud it was and put a cherry bomb on. sorry for the misleading info in my earlier post...
Old 06-18-2011, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MudDepot
He wants loud. Not slightly louder and throatier then stock. If you want loud then get a glasspack or a Flowmaster 40 series.
I have used glassbacks and different times on all my zj's... if you want loud and mean they are not the route to go-they just make it have a slight growl nothing more. they sound good though, just mellow
Old 06-18-2011, 10:23 PM

Yea sorry guys its a 9.5 v8 and the exhaust cam off about a foot from the cat.

Thanks for the feedback i go in Monday for the new exhaust from the cat on back so il def look into the flowmaster they sounded pretty sick on youtube.

Thanks again
Old 06-19-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by 95grandcherokee
Yea sorry guys its a 9.5 v8 and the exhaust cam off about a foot from the cat.

Thanks for the feedback i go in Monday for the new exhaust from the cat on back so il def look into the flowmaster they sounded pretty sick on youtube.

Thanks again
The cats will keep you from being real loud, but a throaty muffler will get you closer to what you want. I understand Flowmasters patent expired. There are many cheaper knockoffs that sound nearly identical to a Flowmaster 40 series. A larger exhaust tip may help the tone at idle as well.