Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New battery, alternator, Jeep keeps dieing

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New battery, alternator, Jeep keeps dieing

Hi! I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited that I purchased about two months ago. We drove it from Florida to Maine with no problems. Once we arrived in Maine, it's been dieing constantly. I replaced the battery and alternator, but once again, it gets no charge at all. No ticking, no turnover, nothing. When it was running, the dash lights and radio, etc. all did really funky things, so I'm assuming there's something wrong with the electrical, but I'm not sure where to start. When I took it to the mechanics when the alternator was diagnosed, I was told that the starter was just fine. I'm at a loss right now. Any ideas where to begin??
Old 08-22-2013, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Check and clean ALL grounds. There will be several.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like a ground, mine did the same, but mine is a 94, my lose cable was on the passenger side right where the coil was, mine had two grounds right there, but i believe they went with coil packs with the later years, hope you the best, Jeep on man
Old 08-23-2013, 05:54 AM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like a ground problem to me also. It sounds about like what mine was doing. I cleaned all my grounds and added some. I added a ground wire from the battery to the body and two from the body to the motor. They were all 10 gauge wire. The extra one from the battery to the body is where one from the body to motor is at also. I put one ground on the right side of the motor and the other on the left side. I have not had any problems with charging or starting afterwards. Also, all my lights look brighter.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Something you need to check. Underneath the battery, there is a temperature sensor that tells the PCM to cut back the charge rate when the battery gets too warm. If this is shot, it may not allowing the alternator to charge the battery. Most people don't even know it's there. Also, check your positive (+) battery cable end and make sure it's actually getting tight on the post and not just running out of clamping space. There should be a gap between the ends of the clamp at the bolt. I had to use a Dremel to trim the ends of mine because it was stretched. You can use a file or hack saw or anything to trim the ends, or replace the cable end itself.

It's not unusual for things like this it pop up after a "shake-down cruise" like your trip from sunshine to the woods.

Last edited by dave1123; 08-23-2013 at 09:10 AM.