Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New 456 gears noisy "That normal"

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 V8 High Output
Default New 456 gears noisy "That normal"???

Hello everyone i was just wondering i just had my gears changed from stock to 456 i have 35"s, 8" rock crawler lift anyways i took it down to 6 states to have them do the gear change they told me that since they are aftermarket gears that they would make a little noise. Well my rear does and they also get louder when I release the throttle. I am really new to this gear stuff and i just dont want anything to happen and have to pay more out of my pocket. again i can only hear the rear axle making noises and it is at all speeds any advice im gonna call tommorow and talk to them. But they did tell me it would make some noise so i just dont wanna be an annoyance to them if what they said was correct. Thanks for any advice

Last edited by doe4; 04-12-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by doe4
Hello everyone i was just wondering i just had my gears changed from stock to 456 i have 35"s, 8" rock crawler lift anyways i took it down to 6 states to have them do the gear change they told me that since they are aftermarket gears that they would make a little noise. Well my rear does and they also get louder when I release the throttle. I am really new to this gear stuff and i just dont want anything to happen and have to pay more out of my pocket. again i can only hear the rear axle making noises and it is at all speeds any advice im gonna call tommorow and talk to them. But they did tell me it would make some noise so i just dont wanna be an annoyance to them if what they said was correct. Thanks for any advice
They'll be noisy until they're fully worn in - you should note the sound diminishing with time.

You can find a good writeup on wearing in gears at Randy's Ring & Pininon, and treat that as important. If you don't wear them in properly, you'll end up wrecking the temper of the gears and needing another regearing job...
Old 04-12-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 V8 High Output

Thanks 5-90 for the quick reply like i said before i have no experince with gears they told me they would make some noise but after i have been drivin it around a little i keep thinkin i hope the noise is normal lol anyways they did tell me about the breakin period pretty much the same as Randys Ring & Pinion So i guess ill drive it some more and time will tell thanks again ill post how it is going along the way just in case some1 is freakin out like me hahaha. Any input from anyone else is appriciated also thanks again