Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

need some parts recommendations on a 2002 cherokee limited

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Cherokee
Default need some parts recommendations on a 2002 cherokee limited

2002 Cherokee Laredo, 75k mi.

The ride is really soft and I'm thinking new shocks might help, At 75k (nyc) mi. might struts/springs enter the conversation as well? Need four new tires as well, preferably all season which ride quietly as possible on the highway. Also need side steps or a side bar/nerf bar (my dad is old and needs the help getting into the car).

My mechanic will let me send him the parts which i'll buy at cost, so i'm not getting raked on the markup, just labor which is fine.

What would you do?
Which shocks would you buy?
Same question on struts/springs.
Same question on tires.
Thoughts on steps or nerf bars?

Thanks! I really need the help.

Jason

Last edited by jason370; 03-03-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:14 AM

Model: Cherokee

I went and got a Suspension kit off of eBay from FatBob's. Came with the springs, shocks...they whole ball of wax. I'm pretty happy with it. Wasn't all that expensive either. Go look for a seller on eBay named levelingsolutions They got everything.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Former Sponsor

When you say "soft", your mechanic is saying the shocks and springs are "worn out" ?

Or is he saying you need (want) a stiffer spring rate and shocks that are valved stiffer?

(not that it might change the "ride" or not, that's hard to say till something is installed)

Old 03-04-2015, 05:07 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

First of all, you're talking to someone who has driven the BQE from Yonkers to Brooklyn many times and I'm surprised your dad's jeep has lasted this long! That highway will beat ANY car to death in a hurry.

My personal advise is to replace the springs and shocks with OEM parts as much as possible to maintain the factory ride and height. Also, look at the control arm bushings, ball joints, wheel bearings, and steering linkage joints for looseness. My choice for shocks would be Monroe Sensatrac. They are gas filled standard replacement units but should last longer than the originals. Also, look at the engine and transmission mounts.

Again, my personal choice for tires would be BFG Rugged Terrain T/A. They are great in snow, which you've been getting a lot of lately, and have good wet traction and ride quietly. In my opinion, all season tires aren't good for anything.

What you're looking for is compliance, not stiffness. On the running boards, I would go with good solid step rails, as in round tubes as used on pickup trucks. Most of them have flat step sections with rubber inserts. I'd also install a trailer hitch for rear crash protection. The bumpers on the WJ don't really do anything for absorbing impacts. There are steel replacements you can buy, but they cost almost $1K each.

My wife grew up in Brooklyn and I made it my life's work to get her whole family out! One by one, they are here in Syracuse.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-04-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Dave1123 nailed it.

If you're going to swap the parts, he's right on the button :-)