Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need some help

Hello all, the name is Steve and i'm the FNG here and in truth, I don't have a Jeep Cherokee. My son has one and I have joined the forum to assist him with maintenance and repair. I actually have three classic cars that I wrench on so know absolutely nothing about 4WD vehicles!

So here is my question with the background info. First up vehicle type.
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with an inline six and I think all time 4WD. I noted that the 4WD shifter had 4H, N and 4L.

His front differential is toast, it went out last weekend. I am in the process of trying to locate a used one for him, if anyone has one in the DC area please let me know, but in the meantime my question is, can it be driven in a 2WD mode if the front dif innards are removed?

Again, I know absolutely nothing about this vehicle but am sure I will get to know it intimately in the near future. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:43 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Yes, you can remove the front driveshaft and the ring gear, leaving the carrier in to support the axles and c-clips. It should roll freely then, however, some of these transfer cases have a viscous clutch in them that will overheat and destroy itself if it's not driving the front axle. You are right about it being constant 4WD with that shift pattern. I'm not familiar enough with the different cases to know which one you have based on the year. I've only owned 2 jeeps, both with the 242 transfer case which has the 2WD option. If it were mine, I'd look into switching the case to the 242. JMHO.

There are several websites with used axles for sale. Just be sure you get the right ratio. There should be tags on the differentials telling you which ratio you have, but GENERALLY, if you have the tow package, which includes a trailer hitch, lighting package, and aux trans cooler, the ratio should be 3.73. If you don't have the tow package, it's 3.55. I say generally, because the original purchaser could have had it built to HIS specifications. Worst case scenario, count the teeth on the front ring and pinion. The front diff is a Dana 30. The rear is a Dana 35. Neither axles is what you would call robust. Care of the diffs is a must, because they are the weak link of jeeps. Some guys run 33" tires and wonder why the differentials self destruct.

Welcome to CF. There is a wealth of information on this site. Search around a bit and learn.

Last edited by dave1123; 12-13-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Yes, you can remove the front driveshaft and the ring gear, leaving the carrier in to support the axles and c-clips. It should roll freely then, however, some of these transfer cases have a viscous clutch in them that will overheat and destroy itself if it's not driving the front axle. You are right about it being constant 4WD with that shift pattern. I'm not familiar enough with the different cases to know which one you have based on the year. I've only owned 2 jeeps, both with the 242 transfer case which has the 2WD option. If it were mine, I'd look into switching the case to the 242. JMHO.

There are several websites with used axles for sale. Just be sure you get the right ratio. There should be tags on the differentials telling you which ratio you have, but GENERALLY, if you have the tow package, which includes a trailer hitch, lighting package, and aux trans cooler, the ratio should be 3.73. If you don't have the tow package, it's 3.55. I say generally, because the original purchaser could have had it built to HIS specifications. Worst case scenario, count the teeth on the front ring and pinion. The front diff is a Dana 30. The rear is a Dana 35. Neither axles is what you would call robust. Care of the diffs is a must, because they are the weak link of jeeps. Some guys run 33" tires and wonder why the differentials self destruct.

Welcome to CF. There is a wealth of information on this site. Search around a bit and learn.
Thanks Dave, I recall seeing something about the viscous clutch as I was trying to research the info. I will pass this to my son. The biggest problem is that he is in DC and I am in the Norfolk area so the ability for me to get up under the truck and do an evaluation is difficult at best.

His work schedule is also hectic as he works at Dulles and they are a bit busy with the winter weather so he has not had the chance to follow up his initial observations when he drained the fluid and pulled the cover. I'll continue to do some research and ask questions as needed, thanks again for the insight.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:12 PM

OK, so the boy did the checking and he has a 3.55 front gear ratio. He wasn't very good in telling me the parts he needed but he listed them as:
- Ring and pinion
- Carrier
- Shims
- Bearings
- Passenger side axle assembly

Yes, I know not very descriptive. I can figure out some of what he needs, but here is a question. ROCKAUTO has carriers for the 3.55 ratio but they are listed solely as rear and not front carriers. It is listed specifically as;
"USA STANDARD GEAR Part # USA20023, standard open carrier case, 3.55 & up
Rear Diff; RWD; AMC Model 35 Rear
Rear Diff; 4WD; AMC Model 35 Rear"

Is this useable in the front differential?

Is the ring and pinion set also a standard set that is interchangeable between front and rear? ROCKAUTO has those as well but it doesn't list a front, just a rear set.

Last edited by stephenlwcaki; 12-23-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: new questions
Old 12-24-2013, 06:16 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Check with jeep4x4center.com. They may be able to list the front set and carrier.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

you have the np249 transfer case
it does not like running without driving both axles
when the viscous coupler goes bad, it locks up and makes sharp turns difficult without clunking and popping
it may have been what toasted the front axle
Old 12-27-2013, 02:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-J...+Ratio_PQ=3.55