Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need a new ECM

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need a new ECM

Hello,

I am new here. I have a 1999 4.0 6L. And my ECM went out. The dealer wants close to 1200 to fix it. But I have been looking around and I have found some online. And I want to see if any of these would be ok to use.

http://autocomputerexchange.net/1999-jeep-cherokee.html

Amazon.com: A1 Cardone 791424V Remanufactured Engine Control Computer: Automotive Amazon.com: A1 Cardone 791424V Remanufactured Engine Control Computer: Automotive

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6

Rockauto.com has 'em for $200-$300 new. The only thing tho is I think you have to go to a dealership and them program it for you...I think.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4LI6

I just replaced mine and used allcomputerresources.com . paid 245 with a lifetime warranty. and it is a true plug and play. No issues with the service, delivery, or product. Running great.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:33 PM

I am really not a car person so forgive me if this is a dumb question . But can a 4.7 ECM fit a 4.0 car?
Old 06-19-2011, 07:58 PM

They are specific to the vehicle. they have to be programmed to your model, either by the company where you buy it, or the stealership. I hve heard of people using pcm's from the junkyard from the same model, but it is hit and miss. My jeep is a dd, so i need the reliability.
Who digagnosed your jeep? What are your symtoms?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by gclrick
They are specific to the vehicle. they have to be programmed to your model, either by the company where you buy it, or the stealership. I hve heard of people using pcm's from the junkyard from the same model, but it is hit and miss. My jeep is a dd, so i need the reliability.
Who digagnosed your jeep? What are your symtoms?

The Dealership.

It stops while I am driving, and now will not start up . I changed the fuel pump. And the 3 sensors in up front.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:45 PM

without the ability to diagnose, you have to rely on others to do it correctly. you should invest in a manual and a meter. i would think the stealership would do iy right, but there have been instances where people replace the pcm, only to have the same issues. did you check the asd relay? switch it with a known good one. i would assume they checked all the comon culprits, but you nevr know. the pcm plugs are another common problem on zj's, not sure about the 99. use the search feature and you will find lots of info. on here. i have saved thousands using this site to troubleshoot and make repairs myself.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6

Originally Posted by Jcsoy
The Dealership.

It stops while I am driving, and now will not start up . I changed the fuel pump. And the 3 sensors in up front.
Out of curiosity...do you have a fob to unlock your doors? Reason I ask...I had a '96 Dodge Intrepid that did the same thing. I would drive maybe a mile or two, then the engine would cut out on me and it wouldn't start back up. I went to a shop to have them check the trouble codes. Something 'anit-theft' came up. The tech asked me if the fob had been banged around or anything like that. I told her I had been throwing the keys down the length of the shop where I worked at the time. Apparently what had happened was the fob was sending a 'theft' signal to the car which was disabling the engine after driving a mile or two. I thought that was odd because there was no anit-theft device installed in the car. It was all factory. Anyway, all I ended up having to do was clear out the code in the car and the fob and all was well.
That's probably not your issue, but just thought I'd add my 2 cents for what ever it's worth.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 PM

Thanks all for the advice . I got one for 130 bucks. I am going to get it flashed for 75, and they are going to put to get it put in for 60. So if it works I think that I made off well. I am going to try to get it flashed for less. I mean flashing it 5 mins no why they should be that much.

I wish it was just my keys lol.