Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need name of the "housing" part

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need name of the "housing" part

I have a 98 jeep cheeroke grand Laredo. What is the housing part that connects both rear wheels. It has the axils located in it. The mechanic said he could buy me one for around $600 at salvage yard

Can anyone tell me the name or part number so I can try to find it as well

Thks
Old 01-23-2011, 03:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That would be the rear axle.....
Old 01-23-2011, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Whats wrong with the one you have?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

differntial,? carrier?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

WOW!!! $600 for an axle from a salvage yard??? I have a Pick-n-Pull located near me and they charge about $200 for a complete assembly.

I dont know what the situation is in your area as far as salvage yards, but that does sound unreasonably high.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Difference in price is because the $600 one is from a yard that has pulled it out themselves, and it is sitting on a shelf. A $200 one you go into the yard and pull it out yourself. A shop will not go to a pick-n-pull type place usually, they will call an auto salvage yard and buy one that they have sitting on the shelf.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I can get any axle for $40 at my local yard but I have to put it. Whats wrong with your axle?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

We got yards in Colorado that get $250.00 already pulled then we got ones asking $700-800 pulled ,and then we got pick/pulls where it could be about $50-100 for d35 ...The ones asking $700-800 should be shot asking that for a d35 I don't care if they pulled it that takes about 20-30 minutes the way most hack tuff out ,and from personal experince when I had my ZJ it took me 1hr to pull my d35 out in a snow bank left from blizzard of 03 and I hacked nothing and a ZJ has more to unbolt than leaf rear XJ .

$250 is fair $600=rape . get it yourself and put it in .
Old 01-24-2011, 08:18 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

i posted this in the other thread you have going, but to save some time...

The axle housing?

First of all there are no ujoints on the rear axle in a grand cherokee, they are on the driveshaft, and you would feel a pretty strong vibration if these were going bad.

Secondly, if the axle were bad, you wouldn't be moving.

That being said, it could be a few things.
1 - bad wheel bearings - this would NOT require the whole axle housing to be replaced.
2 - bad pinion bearing - this requires the gears to be taken out and *might* be worth swapping the axle for a new one, but this should be replaced on the new one before it is installed anyways - so it doesn't make sense.
3 - the ring and pinion are bad. In this case it would make more sense to swap out the entire axle housing.

I would get a second opinion - this guy doesn't seem to know what he's talking about (or needs to give you a better explanation of what exactly is wrong).

If you do need to replace the whole axle housing, you can grab one out of any Grand Cherokee in the junkyard. And $600 for a JY axle is crazy expensive.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:37 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dukie564
i posted this in the other thread you have going, but to save some time...

The axle housing?

First of all there are no ujoints on the rear axle in a grand cherokee, they are on the driveshaft, and you would feel a pretty strong vibration if these were going bad.

Secondly, if the axle were bad, you wouldn't be moving.

That being said, it could be a few things.
1 - bad wheel bearings - this would NOT require the whole axle housing to be replaced.
2 - bad pinion bearing - this requires the gears to be taken out and *might* be worth swapping the axle for a new one, but this should be replaced on the new one before it is installed anyways - so it doesn't make sense.
3 - the ring and pinion are bad. In this case it would make more sense to swap out the entire axle housing.

I would get a second opinion - this guy doesn't seem to know what he's talking about (or needs to give you a better explanation of what exactly is wrong).

If you do need to replace the whole axle housing, you can grab one out of any Grand Cherokee in the junkyard. And $600 for a JY axle is crazy expensive.

Not true you can bend a housing and still drive ...you can damage a r/p slightly and still drive ...
Old 01-24-2011, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

I'm sure you got an egg shaped rear---d35 but check ...And this is a grand so if v-8 you have 3.73 gears b/c all GC v-8 come tow prepped if a GC with I-6 3.55 gears ...Just tell the yards you're looking for GC rear end (axle complete) from a v-8 app (3.73 gear ratio ) if it's from a ZJ and gears match it will bolt in and run ...Just telling u what 2 ask for b/c if you call a yard many will pump price up if they think you're clueless . only thig I ran into was some early model non limited ZJ'S had drums and some had 1330 u-joint instead of 1310 on drive shaft ,but those parts can all be swapped over if need be...GOOD LUCK .
Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 AM
MJ>XJ

Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by 1tonxj
I'm sure you got an egg shaped rear---d35 but check ...And this is a grand so if v-8 you have 3.73 gears b/c all GC v-8 come tow prepped if a GC with I-6 3.55 gears ...Just tell the yards you're looking for GC rear end (axle complete) from a v-8 app (3.73 gear ratio ) if it's from a ZJ and gears match it will bolt in and run ...Just telling u what 2 ask for b/c if you call a yard many will pump price up if they think you're clueless . only thig I ran into was some early model non limited ZJ'S had drums and some had 1330 u-joint instead of 1310 on drive shaft ,but those parts can all be swapped over if need be...GOOD LUCK .
93 only year with drums... first year of the zj...

My buddy worked at a shop by himself and a Guy showed up with a wrangler that was being towed behind a RV and snapped a axle shaft... drug it to the shop... called the junkyards and found one... $600... I've bought dana44's from Cherokees for $150 at the same yard... they charge the shops more because whoever needs it doesn't know any better... an axle too them is like needing a engine... and they cost alot is all they know... hell I was picking on my wife the other day because she didn't even know what a axle was on a car... lol...
Old 01-24-2011, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
93 only year with drums... first year of the zj...

My buddy worked at a shop by himself and a Guy showed up with a wrangler that was being towed behind a RV and snapped a axle shaft... drug it to the shop... called the junkyards and found one... $600... I've bought dana44's from Cherokees for $150 at the same yard... they charge the shops more because whoever needs it doesn't know any better... an axle too them is like needing a engine... and they cost alot is all they know... hell I was picking on my wife the other day because she didn't even know what a axle was on a car... lol...

Yeah they make it sound like magic is taking place under the jeep when they talk motor,brakes,trans...but truth is a jeep is super simple to work on .
Old 01-24-2011, 10:11 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

true you could limp it home with a bent axle or damaged r/p, but from the OPs description that's not what has happened.

Also he said in his other post it is a 2wd ZJ so axle ratio of the donor does not matter. Ideally he'd want a rear out of a 4.0L automatic ZJ for the optimal gear ratio, and reuse his driveshaft. Also with a 2wd and Laredo package he would not have a v8 or tow package.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 AM
MJ>XJ

Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by dukie564
true you could limp it home with a bent axle or damaged r/p, but from the OPs description that's not what has happened.

Also he said in his other post it is a 2wd ZJ so axle ratio of the donor does not matter. Ideally he'd want a rear out of a 4.0L automatic ZJ for the optimal gear ratio, and reuse his driveshaft. Also with a 2wd and Laredo package he would not have a v8 or tow package.
Gear ratio does matter... it may work but with the wrong gears it would HURT fuel milage... mixing gears front and back will work... but it'll hurt the transfercase... same thing... lol... also the prime axle he is looking for is the late model with a Dana 44 with 3.73's... I also find it kinda funny you said automatic... I don't know if your just use to saying that or if u actually knew it but they did come with manual trannys in some really rare 93's...

Last edited by huntingman2706217; 01-24-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Need name of the "housing" part