Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need Help with My 2001 Jeep Grande Cherokee 4x4 Power Windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 V8
Default Need Help with My 2001 Jeep Grande Cherokee 4x4 Power Windows

Good Morning from South Georgia. I am going crazy with this electrical problem on my 01 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. I recently bought this jeep and the previous owner told me the windows quit rolling up and down a few months ago. he was told the master window switch was bad so I ordered one the same day I bought the jeep. I swapped them out and still no power. I started troubleshooting the Vehicle and checked the #12 fuse under the hood in the power distribution box and it was good so I pulled the cannon plug in the door jam and did not have power running to it. I opened the rubber protection cover in the door jam and found two broken wires a black wire that I assume is the ground and a Brown wire with a blue strip these wires were heaver gauge then the rest so I assume the Black is the ground and the brown is a Power wire. after soldering them and coating them with heat shrink I plugged the cannon plug back together and checked for power at the plug that goes into the new master window switch. I have 12.5 volts from the brown/blue stripe wire now and the black is the ground. The power door locks will now work and the power mirror on the drivers side, but the windows still will not go up and down. I then pulled the cannon plug to the drivers window motor and used a jumper wire to give it power and it rolled down and the I reversed the power to it and it rolled back up fine so my window motor is ok.

I need a wiring diagram for all of the wires coming into the door so I can see if there is a break somewhere on a different wire.

I also was wondering if there is a break in the harness to one of the other doors will this cause all of the windows not to work?

Has anyone had this problem or have any advice as to what to check next. is there a relay or circuit breaker for the power windows. could this new switch be bad? I am getting frustrated at this point.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:25 AM

Attached Thumbnails Need Help with My 2001 Jeep Grande Cherokee 4x4 Power Windows-power-distrobution-center-2001-jeep-grande-cherokee-limited.jpg  
Old 04-06-2015, 10:25 AM

Default Still no luckk with the power windows in my 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4

Have any of you had this problem??

Does anyone know if the window lock switch can cause the drivers window not to open on the 2001 Grande Cherokee I saw that there were several post concerning the drivers window working but not the passengers and the window lock switch was the culprit. could this be a issue with mine. I have no wiring diagram so its been difficult trouble shooting the problem. I have repaired two broken wires and the door locks work and the power mirrors too but none of the windows will go up or down. I used a jumper wire from the battery to test the window motor directly and it will go up and down with direct power. I have a brand New OEM master window control switch too and power and ground going to the switch but I still cannot get the window to roll up and down.

Could this be the window lock switch if so where is it located on the 2001 Grand Cherokee Limed.

any help would be appreciated.

kind regards,
Drake2015
Old 04-07-2015, 06:09 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The window lock switch is on the bottom of the door switch panel. On my '00 WJ it's right next to the master door lock switch, HOWEVER mine locks all the windows BUT the driver's. I constantly bump it with my elbow and my passengers get pissed that their windows don't work. It's a push button switch that locks down like the hazard light switch.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:45 PM

Default 01 Grand Cherokee Laredo

I have an 01 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo that all of a sudden the driver window stopped rolling up. It will roll down fine and roll back up about quarter way then begins to slow down and comes to a stop at half way. All the other windows work fine, I’ve check all fuses and relays nothing it blown or anything like that. Any ideas?