Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need Help

Picked up a sweet 05 Jeep grand Cherokee Limited that's loaded with every option but only one key. I am looking at buying a spare and having a dealer cut it which I assume they have to do that part of it and also programing. I saw some on amazon but any members here who have gone through the process and actually purchased one that works let me know. I would program myself of course but only one key Also noticed after a couple minutes of the jeep being started the floor board lights and the rear driver side head lamp flickers. I have read some forum messages and it says its possibly the (MSF) now these bulbs are after market LED but its only those lights that seem to flicker. Also the dash and radio seems to flicker also at times and in some cases the screen shuts off completely but radio stays on. Lastly the heater seems to blow hot only out of the passenger side and not the driver side. You would think with a vehicle that cost a ton of money new they would use quality parts that wont fail.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

With only one key, the other must be programmed with a DRB scan tool. Actually it's the SKIM that must be programmed to recognize the new key's code. While you're at it, you might want to get a 3rd key programmed at the same time. The SKIM will only enter the self programming mode with the 2 original keys. My 2 original keys are grey and brown. Aftermarket keys are black. A locksmith can cut the tumbler notches, but he must have a DRBIII scan tool to program the SKIM. That's where the dealer comes in. Someone told me it costs $65 for a new key, but IDK.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
With only one key, the other must be programmed with a DRB scan tool. Actually it's the SKIM that must be programmed to recognize the new key's code. While you're at it, you might want to get a 3rd key programmed at the same time. The SKIM will only enter the self programming mode with the 2 original keys. My 2 original keys are grey and brown. Aftermarket keys are black. A locksmith can cut the tumbler notches, but he must have a DRBIII scan tool to program the SKIM. That's where the dealer comes in. Someone told me it costs $65 for a new key, but IDK.
Ok so it sounds like I should get some estimates on cost for cutting and programing. I picked up a key fob from amazon for like 30$ so that seems good. Thanks for the help!!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Does the fob work? Again, there is a receiver that must be programmed to accept the fobs transmitted code. It's the RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) receiver and is mounted on the inside of the passenger's door panel. And again, a DRB scan tool is needed. Are you sick of the electronics yet? This is one of the reasons Jeeps are rarely stolen. Newer ones anyhow.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Does the fob work? Again, there is a receiver that must be programmed to accept the fobs transmitted code. It's the RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) receiver and is mounted on the inside of the passenger's door panel. And again, a DRB scan tool is needed. Are you sick of the electronics yet? This is one of the reasons Jeeps are rarely stolen. Newer ones anyhow.

The one fob does work fine. Just need to figure out why heat only comes out of the passenger side vents and the interior electrical issues.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:38 AM
Old fart with a wrench

With the Limited, you've got the Automatic Climate Control. They are computer controlled by a unit inside it. There is a way you can get trouble codes out of it, although IDK the procedures. They have a dual blend door and probably the driver's side one is not working.