Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need advice greatly appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need advice greatly appreciated

I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and ive just recently spun out and hit a curb snapping the rear driver side wheel off of the axle. my question is are there any other issues besides the obvious I should expect anything I should look at that might have been affected by the impact? The rear wheel took the whole impact the other three tires are perfectly straight. Also advise on replacing the axle would be helpful,thanks
Old 01-20-2017, 06:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L

I'd check the brakes, axle housing (make sure it wasn't bent), axle shaft (if not being replaced already), and mine as well check bearings and seals while you're down there.

I don't have a ZJ, but if this happened on my XJ those are things I'd check.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Absolutely check the rear track bar! It took all the impact transmitted to the body. I don't remember the ZJ well enough to if the force was in compression or extension, but check the brackets for cracks where they mount to the axle and "frame." Also check the differential. The axle itself was slammed inward against the carrier assembly.

What most people don't realize is the axle shaft itself is actually 2 pieces inertia-welded together at the wheel flange and designed to be a "fuse point" in situations like this. Hopefully, that's all that broke!