Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Mystery piece in my transmission pan???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9
Default Mystery piece in my transmission pan???

Does anyone know what this piece of metal is? I found it in the pan while i was changing my tranny oil. 98 GC 5.9l

Old 09-03-2010, 12:50 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: HO 4.0

That piece is called a "strut" and goes on the tip of one of your "brake band adjustment screws". Inside the tranny you have what some call "the egg" that contains all your friction disks. Around the outside of that assembly, there are two brake bands, one for the low and reverse gears, and one for the higher gears. You can adjust the tension on those bands by turning an adjusting screw/bolt on the outside of the transmission. That piece fits on the end of one of those screws/bolts and fits up against the brake band in order to properly seat the adjustment bolt. Here's a very rough illustration of what I'm talking about. I apologize if its not perfectly understandable, but hopefully it will help a little.

Here is a small, but exploded view of a Ford C6 Brake drum and Brake band showing the Strut (your mystery piece). I know its not your transmission, but they all have similar parts inside.

Good luck. I hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:20 PM

Year: 98
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9

Originally Posted by minimoto139
That piece is called a "strut" and goes on the tip of one of your "brake band adjustment screws". Inside the tranny you have what some call "the egg" that contains all your friction disks. Around the outside of that assembly, there are two brake bands, one for the low and reverse gears, and one for the higher gears. You can adjust the tension on those bands by turning an adjusting screw/bolt on the outside of the transmission. That piece fits on the end of one of those screws/bolts and fits up against the brake band in order to properly seat the adjustment bolt. Here's a very rough illustration of what I'm talking about. I apologize if its not perfectly understandable, but hopefully it will help a little.

Here is a small, but exploded view of a Ford C6 Brake drum and Brake band showing the Strut (your mystery piece). I know its not your transmission, but they all have similar parts inside.

Good luck. I hope this helps.
so is this something where i would have to take apart the transmission?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: HO 4.0

Unfortunately, yes, but not necessarily all the way. You can pull off the bell housing, unbolt the oil pump assembly, and then I think there is a set of planetary gears right under it. Pull those off, and then you may be able to get to your adjusting bolts. If not, you may have to pull brake bands out and then the "egg", but you shouldn't have to touch any clutches or mess with any of that. You may not even have to pull much more than the oil pump out to get to where you need to be. Just remember (take pictures if you have to) where everything goes and put it right back how it was. It should just be a matter of loosening them enough to set the strut back in between the brake band and the bolt. Just remember how many turns you backed it out so you can adjust it back to where it was. You shouldn't have to get into the tranny too deep, but you will have to drop it and set it on a bench to get to everything. It sucks I know, but it could be worse. Unfortunately, I don't think it will operate correctly without that piece in there.