Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Is my transfer case going?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation Is my transfer case going?

Well, we finally started getting snow....here come the problems I guess.

I recently did a fluid change in my NP242 transfer case. It seems to engage and disengage better than it did before. BUT...

Sometimes when I put the lever into 4 Full Time I get a rumbly sort of grinding noise. Also, while moving, if I let off the gas it feels like something is slowing the vehicle down---there seems to be resistance and you can really feel it. When the 4 wheel drive is properly engaged, you do not feel anything like that. If I stop, take it out of 4 then put it back in and go from D to N to R, it seems to engage properly and I get no more noise.

Also, today when the noise started, I went to pull off to the side of the road. At a very low speed, when I turned the wheel to the right a little, I felt a sort of pop and the noise stopped and there was no more resistance.

Could it be that it is not engaging properly? Does my front diff need attention? Could it be an alignment issue? What the heck could be causing this?