Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

My jeep smells like gas and smokes a little. Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My jeep smells like gas and smokes a little. Help!!!

I recently bought 2000 jeep grand Cherokee limited 4x4 4.7L, it's started to have a gas smell when driving and I've noticed a little smoke when oi accelarate. Any ideas of what might cause this??
Old 08-28-2011, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

What color smoke, and is the cel on?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Scott1024
I recently bought 2000 jeep grand Cherokee limited 4x4 4.7L, it's started to have a gas smell when driving and I've noticed a little smoke when oi accelarate. Any ideas of what might cause this??
I had a similar problem with my '00 GC Laredo. It threw a code on the scanner for "Running Rich". Changed the O2 sensors and it cleared up.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Had the gas smell problem but had no codes....found it to be the fuel line assembly on top of the fuel tank. The connections rotted out causing it to spew gas....but not much. I only investigated after seeing a small amount of gas underneath. I had to drop the fuel tank to get at it....at the same time I replaced the fuel pump gasket ($6). The fuel assembly I speak of comes as a unit. The new unit had stainless fittings. In order to inspect it, you will need to look above the gas tank (but you should be able to see if there are any leaks).
Mine smokes too.... just tried adding a Lucus Oil Treament at my last oil change. Says it take s couple days to "seal".
Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

So u found the fittings were leaking? Or the lines? I have the same issue. Small amount of gas leak but I cant pinpoint the leak. Wher did u buy fittings?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mtn ZJ
So u found the fittings were leaking? Or the lines? I have the same issue. Small amount of gas leak but I cant pinpoint the leak. Wher did u buy fittings?
There's a fuel line assembly above the gas tank....that plugs into your fuel pump and fuel filter. If you look at the top of the fuel pump there are 2 ports, and inlet and an outlet. The fuel line assembly then plugs into your fuel filter from there.....maybe 2 ft of coiled fuel line (strain relief I believe for when you lower your gas tank). The fittings are idiot proof so you can't plug them into the wrong ports.
I needed to remove the whole fuel pump in order to work on the fittings because they were too far gone to get off easily. Be careful not to break the tube ports on top of the fuel pump. It took me awhile to get the fittings to release....be patient. There really is no easy way to get at this assembly unless you completely drop your tank....
By the way, I could NOT find this part anywhere on-line....I was forced to go to the dealer. I think it was $80 or so....but I'm sure it was less than $100. Buy the $6 fuel pump gasket while your at it....I hear they are known to disintergrate as well.
You can't replace the fittings, it's a whole assembly...