Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Main lighting issue..

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Main lighting issue..

Just bought my 1998 Grand Limited. 5.9/Auto

My son just ran to get parts for me in it. He had the lights on...it's dark out. He had it set to auto with the light switch if that matters.

He said on his one hour journey...30 minutes each way.

While driving...he would hear a clicking in the dash..and ALL the lights inside and outside the truck would dimm down quickly to almost like 10%..almost off...then clicking in the dash...then back to full 100% brightness faster than you can blink an eye. He said it did it three times.

I took it for a ride and I can't get it to do it. Charging good. Gauge is a little over 14 volts at acceleration.

The PO just put a new battery in this week. New clean cable ends. I never had this happen on a vehicle. Where all the lights went out almost then back on. Kinda scary. He said it ran great when it happened. No power loss or interrupted engine stufr.

SIDE NOTE: I use the ON position for the headlights. I didn't have any issues. I noticed my son had it set on AUTO, and I just called the PO, he said it's been a long time. But he remembered using the ON position only. He can't remember exactly...but when set on AUTO...he had an issue. So never used Auto selection again on the switch.

Last edited by TonyPa; 12-10-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The ambient light sensor on the dash may be failing. It located between the left and right defrost ducts. Grab one from the local boneyard and swap it out, it just might fix it.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:40 PM

I'll have to look at my dash and see if I can find it. Does it just come off the top of the dash? I would rather buy new if they sale them??

The PO said it only happened when he used Auto on the headlight switch. I dunno...
Old 12-11-2016, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

The defrost register just pops out and the sensor is clipped in from underneath. The dealer may have them if you want new.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:42 PM

Thank you!! I did drive it for an hour tonight with the switch in the ON position and never did it again. The previous did say the AUTO position is the only time it did that. He noticed it about 2 years ago.. I can at least get my maintenance stuff done first and fix that later. I really like driving this Jeep a little too much!
Old 12-12-2016, 12:08 AM

Year: '97
Engine: 4.0 L

If the ambient light sensor doesn't do the trick, it may be the light switch. My'97 is experiencing dash light flickering, along with not turning off in auto mode. I'm sure it the switch, the dash lights flicker over bumps.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TonyPa
Thank you!! I did drive it for an hour tonight with the switch in the ON position and never did it again. The previous did say the AUTO position is the only time it did that. He noticed it about 2 years ago.. I can at least get my maintenance stuff done first and fix that later. I really like driving this Jeep a little too much!
Does your face hurt after driving it because of the stupid happy grin you have while driving it?
Old 12-12-2016, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by if6was9
If the ambient light sensor doesn't do the trick, it may be the light switch. My'97 is experiencing dash light flickering, along with not turning off in auto mode. I'm sure it the switch, the dash lights flicker over bumps.
I think it's probably the switch also. I am just using the On position for now. At least I know it probably can only be one if those two parts. It's going to be my daily, so getting everything right.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Does your face hurt after driving it because of the stupid happy grin you have while driving it?
Lmao!! I do love this truck. I am surprised all the extra stuff they have in them. I'm going to see if I can get the build sheet for my 1998 with that link someone put up for me. Hopefully.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I don't feel comfortable calling them a truck or car because they are JEEPS and are unique!
Old 12-13-2016, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by dave1123
I don't feel comfortable calling them a truck or car because they are JEEPS and are unique!
Yes I agree. I stand corrected sir. They are quite unique! Our "Jeeps"! And thanks for the advice you have been giving me.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:29 PM

Year: '97
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by TonyPa
I think it's probably the switch also. I am just using the On position for now. At least I know it probably can only be one if those two parts. It's going to be my daily, so getting everything right.
My '97 is a winter daily driver. Having the dash lights go out and come back on is annoying to say the least. I have so many things to fix, so I'm picking my battles with safety issues first. Right after I ordered the light switch, the rear brake line blew.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

The switch is an easy repair if your comfy with a soldering iron.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-heavy-702703/
Old 12-14-2016, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by if6was9
My '97 is a winter daily driver. Having the dash lights go out and come back on is annoying to say the least. I have so many things to fix, so I'm picking my battles with safety issues first. Right after I ordered the light switch, the rear brake line blew.

I won't use the Auto feature until I fix it. If the inside lights were going out, it wouldnt bother me as much. But my headlights were going out also...all of my exterior lights and interior lights. That gets your attention really fast on a back road coming home at night...lol
On position has worked fine so far though.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by OverlandZJ
The switch is an easy repair if your comfy with a soldering iron.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-heavy-702703/
I will check that link soon as I'm on my pc tonight. I have soldered. I don't like it. But I have. Seems to be a pain.

I have to remove that display below my ashtray to do sodering. I used the search function here and seen that my problem with the rear taillights and coolant sensor warning that are annoying might actually be the broken solder joints on that back of the display acreen..so more soldering ..lol