Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Lift questions

I have a jeep Grand Cherokee with a rough country lift in it, it has the shocks, lower control arms and not sure what springs were used, it sits higher in the back for sure. I'm not sure what all was installed or came with the kit, but I see already what looks like an offset washer on the lower control arms that is not the same from one side to the other. The front stabilizer bar is so loose on the axle end that the jeep steers like a hay wagon. I'm guessing it was the cheap 3" lift that was put on. I have a vibration the starts mainly around 30 mph. I know I have either a cv joint or u joint bad on the passenger side.
I am considering just buying a 4" lift from Iron Rock Off Road , but then someone mentioned Rusty's Jeeps in Alabama. I know I do not like the pinion angle at all, the lower control arms without uppers seems to have pointed my pinions down a little while raising the transfer up from them. I plan on at least buying upper control arms. I have two jeeps so I could use this lift on my other one possibly. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 05-12-2016, 11:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Oh it's a 96 5.2 grand Cherokee , the other one is a 97 4.0 grand Cherokee.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm comparing both sites, I see prices have gone up, and kits do not include the control arms they did before, unless I remember wrong, maybe its time to search junk yards and fab a few things myself, or rather have someone else do the welding. Iron Rock Off Road does seem to offer a few kits that blow rusty's away though, even though most are similar.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Most rough country lifts ride rough,Between rustys and iron rock i would go iron rock.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:02 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm hearing a lot of banging and popping in my front end, I found some rubber spacers under the back seat, looks like they are supposed to fit under the springs. I'm not sure what someone has done with this lift. I think someone drilled a new hole for the track bar attachment to the axle, There are two holes, one of them seems oval'd like someone let a bad bushing ruin the hole. The new hole is further away, and I think it may be the stock track bar, so with added lift, and he track bar being pulled another inch or so to the passenger side of the axle it is actually pulling the front axle of center. If I look at the tries in front it does seem to be tire showing on one side than the other. The bushing was totally shot and seemed to be worn mostly towards the passenger side also btw. I may have to get a bigger bolt and round out the original hole then simply get rid of the sleeve or drill the poly bushing to accept a bigger sleeve,
Old 05-23-2016, 01:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Drilling a hole for the track bar is a bad idea its best to buy a adjustable track bar for it.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Yeah, drilling any hole on any suspension/frame parts is not good. Like I said i'm not sure what was done properly or who did the work on this lift, but I think they may have just threw some lift parts together that they got somewhere, or got the cheapest kit from rough country and didn't put it in correct, or being a cheap kit, they got a sub par kit that really isn't all that great. No one should drill any holes on any suspension or steering parts unless they are a professional and have lots of experience or training. Not only can your vehicle get screwed up, but there is a potential to cause harm to others as well.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Member

I am moving to a place that has a garage, so soon I can properly take this thing apart and see what is there, but honestly I probably will just buy a new 4" kit from IRO, but like I said before these kits seem to cost more and have less parts than even last year, I could just have a bad memory though. Track bar is a must in my opinion, upper control arms a must also.