Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Just a little one, but...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Cool Just a little one, but...

Just thought I would show off my latest adventure. I went wheeling Easter Sunday, and had a little trouble getting over some rocks. As I started to crest over the 2nd ledge my *** end hopped, and SNAP! It was all over. Good thing I have disc breaks!

Now a question: if you had a grand, and wheeled it as much as I do, what axle would you chose? As of now my choices are a 44a that would be a direct bolt in, a ford 9", a ford 8.8", or a co14 bolt. All of these options have cost involved as I don't just have every thing laying around. Most of my options will be very expensive, and 1 will require a complete re build of the Jeep. If it were your Jeep, what would you do?

44a will need a truss, and a skid built before install to help it stay together. After all, it's still aluminum! (it's cheap though)

9" will require re drilling, brackets, disc break conversion, and gears. (have one!)

8.8" will require brackets, and most likely gears. (will need to buy every thing)

14 bolt, well, that's a whole 'nother thread in it's self. (have one!!)
Old 05-02-2010, 01:49 PM

Cool

No body even replied? Maybe when you see this!

I belong to a few forums and on one there planning a trip to China mans, and really wanna go. Unfortunately Candy is still broken from my Easter trip to Rampart. Im completely rebuilding the rear suspension, what I have now sucks and needs to go. The stock 35 has been broken numerous times, and Im sick of fixing it. Im planning on doing a 44a as a temporary fix. I will be going 1 ton asap so I don't want to invest a lot in an 8.8 like I should do. I picked up an empty housing from a WJ, and will at least be building my truss and skid off of it. I may look for a ZJ 44a, but there are advantages to the WJ. It's a non c clip axle, and has holes in it for the stock upper mount. That will aide in strengthening the axle over all when I build the truss over the top. It has disadvantages to, the lug pattern will be different, and it's wider then the ZJ axle. The WJ 44a also has 3" wide mounts for the lower arms on the axle. I could use 3" there and 2 5/8" everywhere else, but the 3" are much stronger. Im building a 3 link or wish bone, I have never done one on a grand so I thought I would give it a shot. I could keep it as is if I find a ZJ 44a but I guess we'll see.

If anyone out there has parts laying around that might help me get this done in time please email me getlostrockracing@yahoo.com or post here. I'll try and keep an eye on this thread. It's a major undertaking on such a short schedule. I will have to raise my gas tank, and build spring mounts as well. If Im gonna do it Im gonna stretch her out a bit so I can run a bigger tire. I only have 33's now and they are less then an inch from hitting the uncut fender well. I don't want to cut the rear, but I know Im gonna have to.

EDIT: I found a complete WJ 44a at A1(you pull and pay) this morning, so that's the way Im gonna do this. I still need all the joints and every thing tho.

I got the hole cut, got my new floor panel cut,(goes under the frame) and made the tank fit. I was gonna finish that part of it up, and start the cage around the tank today, but it's SNOWING at my house so no workie today. I plan on using 1"x1" square tube (because I have a ton of it laying around) to build the structure, and I'll be covering it in .080 5052 aluminum sheet. I work for a sign company so we have a ton of drop pieces I can do it with.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

You might get nore response if you repost over in the Grand Tech section.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM

Cool

That's where it should be, don't know why it's here. Admin, you can move this if you want.

Got started on the skid today, and got started on the structure in side the Jeep. It was snowing this morning so I only had a couple hours to work out side. I didn't really get much done.
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Cool

Got my rear end done today! I didn't want to put the joint up top, but didn't really have a choice. I wanted it out front, but it would have been way to far forward and would have caused a lot of anti squat. Oh, and yes Im gonna cut the bolts off (old dana 60 U bolt), I just don't have a die that matches the thread. Im gonna thread them all the way down and will only have room enough for a washer and the nut. Every thing is done with 3/16" plate except the lower truss. It's a piece of 2"x3" rec tube cut down the middle. The skid in not pretty, but I won't be afraid to drag it! I'll be taking apart the Jeep tomorrow morning and will be building the cross member and links. My "help" didn't bother to show up today or even call. I would have gotten much further, but you know how it goes.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: ???

Looking good.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:40 PM

Cool

Got candy all apart, and got my cross member built. It's not quite done, but close. I have a lot of grinding to do, and still need to weld on the tabs for the upper link. Im not looking forward to welding it in, but some body has to do it. Didn't get to the links. The shock on my band saw went out today, so I ended up babysitting it most of the day Im seriously considering taking the day off tomorrow so I can get this done. Of course I don't wanna get fired, so....
Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 PM

Cool

The cross member is now officially part of the Jeep! I left work a bit early to day and finally got something done. Got my tabs cut, welded it in, and slid the axle under. Im not sure where to put it though, so Im gonna ask your opinions.

If I put the axle 3" back it sits in the center of the wheel well, but is still only 16" away from the body how it sits. Im considering moving it back another 3", but I'll have to cut into the body for clearance in the rear. If it were your Jeep would you go the easy way, or just do it? I have already moved the gas tank, so 6" isn't really a big deal, Im just not sure I should go that far.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

what trail where you on when you broke
Old 05-11-2010, 01:18 PM

Cool

I was at Rampart when I broke it. The big rock off to the right as you first enter.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 PM

Cool

I got my links built today! Took the day off because Im sick of working, so I stayed home to work hahaha! There 2"x2" 1/4 wall tube, ballistic fab tube inserts, and the joints I got from ED. I built the bushing ends, they look small, but there not. That's a 1-1/4 bolt. I used some fixed joints at the chassis side. I also got tires! I'll have to get a better pic later, I got it with my phone, but the first one shows where she will sit when all is said and done. My springs and my adaptors still have not shown up yet, but every thing else is coming together. I'll have a surprise for every one soon, Candy doesn't even know so I can't share yet! Im gonna start on it first thing tomorrow, and pray that I get this all done in time!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

neat.. more pics please....
Old 05-15-2010, 09:14 PM

Cool

I first have to say that this is all Tim's fault. He said "Do it the right way the first time and don't do it again." So here we are! As promised, here is the surprise! I decided that using springs was gonna be more a hassle then doing it right the first time so I just went for it. I just happened to have a set of 14" travel Fox air shocks in my bed room closet, and they weren't doing any thing but collecting dust. I still have a lot to do, but Im out of material, out of patients, and Im starving. It's time for a shower, a burrito, and a beer! All the structure for the shock mounts is 1x1 square, and all my tabs are 3/16 plate. The sheet metal up top is amazingly thin, so it provides little support. The floor however is 3 times as thick, so 90% of the structural integrity of the upper system is the tube welded to it.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:57 PM

Year: 96
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Awesome build!!! I dunno about using those cinder blocks to elevate the jack stands though.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Cool

It's about time some one caught that. I did that just for that pic. I wanted to see how long it took for some one to say something. Bricks are not a good way of getting extra lift out of a jack stand, they could crumble at any moment, and with out warning. It's actually sitting on wood blocks that are 4"x6", you can see them stacked in the last pix I posted. Still not great, but it's what I've got.

Quick Reply: Just a little one, but...