Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Just bought an 02 grand cherokee overland

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Just bought an 02 grand cherokee overland

Hi I just bought my first jeep. It's an 02 grand cherokee overland. It has 145,000 miles on it has the 4.7 litre. Absolutely no rust this thing looks brand new underneath no rust even on the frame. I have heard mixed reviews about these some ok and some bad. Just wondering if I bought something decent or if I got a problem looking for a place to happen?? Please let me know the history on these and their drivetrain, and things to look for and do for longevity. Thanks alot.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:30 PM

Nice looking ride. It looks like the previous owner used it easy so you probably have a good solid vehicle. I would change the fluids in the differentials and tranny and transfer case and engine if it needs it. Most people never even check the fluids in the driveline, much less change them. Pull out a couple of spark plugs to see if they are the originals, if so change them as they are overdue. Run some injector cleaner through the gas tank every now and then and keep a good clean air filter in it. Congratulations and happy jeepin!!
Old 03-02-2017, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Shannon, Welcome to the forum!

Sweet! Those wheels look sharp. It's slightly lifted, no? Did you by this from the OO? If so, did they provide history/receipts?

For now, just take your time in getting to know her and keep the shiny side up. Do a little homework on her too. Go through the records and check-off against mileage-based maintenance items in the back of the owners manual. If you know how it was cared-for, by virtue of the records, then you'll know what to do with/for it in the future care and maintenance department.

Good Luck!
Old 03-02-2017, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cleman Simpson
Nice looking ride. It looks like the previous owner used it easy so you probably have a good solid vehicle. I would change the fluids in the differentials and tranny and transfer case and engine if it needs it. Most people never even check the fluids in the driveline, much less change them. Pull out a couple of spark plugs to see if they are the originals, if so change them as they are overdue. Run some injector cleaner through the gas tank every now and then and keep a good clean air filter in it. Congratulations and happy jeepin!!

it appears that the tranny fluid has been changed and they said that all normal needed maint was done to the point of sale. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cherryokee
Shannon, Welcome to the forum!

Sweet! Those wheels look sharp. It's slightly lifted, no? Did you by this from the OO? If so, did they provide history/receipts?

For now, just take your time in getting to know her and keep the shiny side up. Do a little homework on her too. Go through the records and check-off against mileage-based maintenance items in the back of the owners manual. If you know how it was cared-for, by virtue of the records, then you'll know what to do with/for it in the future care and maintenance department.

Good Luck!
ok. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to the forum and the jeepin' community!

As far as I'm concerned, the WJ (99-04) is the last REAL Grand Cherokee made. The key to making it last is doing proper maintenance. Want to know more about it? Check out wjjeeps.com for specifics on your model and other interesting stuff. IIRC, the Overland has the Up-Country suspension which is raised a couple of inches for more ground clearance in rough terrain. You can run your VIN number thru some different websites to get your Build Sheet which will tell you all the options and features installed on your particular vehicle.

I drive a 2000 cheap model Laredo with the 4.0 6-cylinder. I bought it with 125K on it and it was very well treated, garaged, and maintained. Because it's my ONLY vehicle and I use it for my business, I've put a lot of parts in it to make it last as long as possible. It now has 209K on it and is just now starting to show it's age with a touch of rust and quirky things like door latches that stick or won't latch, a dome light that doesn't always come on when you open the driver's door, but will with any other door. Small stuff I just put up with. I've been very lucky with the electronic engine controls and only had to replace a crank sensor once. Now I've done it! It probably heard me say that! LOL!

Pay particular attention to the cooling system! These jeeps tend to develop leaks and overheating is a death-nail for any engine.

I see a touch of snow in your picture! You should be happy with how it drives in snow. It's a very stable platform and will go just about anywhere. I've driven thru snow that blew over the headlights and it was no problem. Don't get overconfident because stopping is still a problem as it is with any other vehicle. Notice I refuse to call it a car or truck? It just seems like a put-down to do that. It's a JEEP! In my opinion, they are much better that any other AWD vehicle. I have a friend with a Ford Explorer that won't go places that don't bother me a bit!

Keep in touch and share your experiences. That's what jeepin' is all about.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-02-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123

Welcome to the forum and the jeepin' community!

As far as I'm concerned, the WJ (99-04) is the last REAL Grand Cherokee made. The key to making it last is doing proper maintenance. Want to know more about it? Check out wjjeeps.com for specifics on your model and other interesting stuff. IIRC, the Overland has the Up-Country suspension which is raised a couple of inches for more ground clearance in rough terrain. You can run your VIN number thru some different websites to get your Build Sheet which will tell you all the options and features installed on your particular vehicle.

I drive a 2000 cheap model Laredo with the 4.0 6-cylinder. I bought it with 125K on it and it was very well treated, garaged, and maintained. Because it's my ONLY vehicle and I use it for my business, I've put a lot of parts in it to make it last as long as possible. It now has 209K on it and is just now starting to show it's age with a touch of rust and quirky things like door latches that stick or won't latch, a dome light that doesn't always come on when you open the driver's door, but will with any other door. Small stuff I just put up with. I've been very lucky with the electronic engine controls and only had to replace a crank sensor once. Now I've done it! It probably heard me say that! LOL!

Pay particular attention to the cooling system! These jeeps tend to develop leaks and overheating is a death-nail for any engine.

I see a touch of snow in your picture! You should be happy with how it drives in snow. It's a very stable platform and will go just about anywhere. I've driven thru snow that blew over the headlights and it was no problem. Don't get overconfident because stopping is still a problem as it is with any other vehicle. Notice I refuse to call it a car or truck? It just seems like a put-down to do that. It's a JEEP! In my opinion, they are much better that any other AWD vehicle. I have a friend with a Ford Explorer that won't go places that don't bother me a bit!

Keep in touch and share your experiences. That's what jeepin' is all about.

ya yesterday was my first time driving a jeep in the snow. I gotta say it's dif than any other vehicle I've even driven in the snow. Not sure how, but when turning a corner in snow the rear end usually slides out when you turn to fast, but it wouldn't do it I even tried. So I gotta say it seems to handle really well in the snow so far. Thanks for the input I will keep it all in mind.