Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Just another dual alternator thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Just another dual alternator thread.

Here's my scenario. We have a popup camper we pull with the ZJ occasionally. I have a 2000 lb Super Winch mounted to it to raise and lower the top. The inverter only supplies just over 12 volts, intended to only maintain the battery since it originally only ran courtesy lights and fridge electronics in LP mode. I am concerned the winch will end up nuking the battery since the 12v inverter will never fully charge the battery.

Choices I have came up with so far is to-
1. Upgrade the charging wire to the 7 pin plug to at least 4GA wire and let the Jeep charge the battery in transit and the inverter maintain while plugged in to 110 (wifes a wuss, we only camp where there is power hook up).
2. Buy a float charger and wire it to the battery more or less permanently so it will maintain full charge whe hooked to 110 since the float charger will charge at 14.3 unless the battery is full, then drop to 12.
3. Install another alt to charge only the camper battery, and future winch battery.

Currently I am unhooking from the camper and using the Jeep with jumper cables to assist the camper battery, but am looking for an easier solution in the long run. Did consider remote battery terminals in the back like on dirt track cars to jump from.

I have already looked into relocating my battery to where the AC canister used to be and fabbing a bracket to mount the second alt where the battery sits. (The AC compressor is becoming an air compressor in the near future). Or relocating the air intake (either canister type filter or snorkel kit) and putting the battery at the air box location.

I also figure with a second on board battery for front winch, and possibly one for a rear winch, isolated from the rest of the Jeep I could mock up a dirty DC stick welder with jumper cables in an emergency.

Any of this seem feasible, or should I back off of the Guinness for a bit?
Old 04-19-2016, 10:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

im sorry, I cant really comment on the dual battery idea, because i dont know anything about winches or trailers.

I am however very interested about your AC compressor converted to an AIR compressor!! How? Please make a thread for this, or even better, a full right up.

I am about to pull the whole AC system, because i dont need it, but on board AIR would be worth it.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

float charger and call it a day
Old 04-21-2016, 01:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by IStoleIt
im sorry, I cant really comment on the dual battery idea, because i dont know anything about winches or trailers. I am however very interested about your AC compressor converted to an AIR compressor!! How? Please make a thread for this, or even better, a full right up. I am about to pull the whole AC system, because i dont need it, but on board AIR would be worth it.
the pabst boys on YouTube have a video on that.