Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

jeepites!With our powers combined!transmission issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997/8
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2l
Default jeepites!With our powers combined!transmission issues.

ok.....i have owned a standard 4 cylinder jc and my current 5.2 jgc.....completley different animals..and im am a dude who never had or owed many vehicles,to excuse myself basically i dont KNOW CRAP about autos,my last jeep was a standard..this jeep is A 5.2 l 8 cy magnum ??motor with i believe a 44re transmission...upon obtaining the vehicle i have been replacing parts left in un believable disrepair by previous owner...however the exeption is the tranny,was in great shape however like a dumbass i replaced the transmission fluid and filter thinking "hell ive replaced the rest of it lets get this out of the way" from ORIELLYs auto,lazy *** front desk chick just looked at the DEXMERC 3 i had in my hand along with the filter for WRONG year jeep(SPECIFCALLY ASKED THEM FOR THE CAPACITY AND FLUID TYPE OF THIS VEHICLE)AND SAID"YEAH thats right "..checked out...needless to say imminent tranny failure afterwords,within 150 miles of light load test drives.....now oriellys DM is saying he will pay 75-80 percent of repair but ****ing orielly tech is saying that i purposley purchased incorrect tranny fluid{i.e. he informed me and i said"screw you,that cost to much"....complete lie....now i have told Craig that i understand that ORIELLYs did not come to my house and choke this **** down my tranny but it WAS specifically sold to me for a certain application which was incorrect and resulted in failure of vehicle.....what do you guys think? keep in mind that as far as stuff goes,i have to file as a schedule c business owner every year,so what F"n good would it do me to buy this crap knowing it would mess me up?meaning im not gonna cheap out on tranny fluid for A work truck because it all counts towards taxes paid in my bracket....what the hell do i care?ill get the good stuff to make all of my tools function better man...but as a jeep lover...poor jeep...whatt he hell is wrong with it...no over drive,erratic shifts.....intermittent pending codes of p0783 and p0740....yes i know what the verbal explanation of these is...any advice guys?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 PM

to clarify,tranny required atf-4 come to find out and was sold blue 4 qt jug of dexmerc 3 and told that d/m 3 was correct fluid....{like i said never had a tranny that didnt run on gear oil before,sorry if that conjures images of an inbred redneck,i just didnt know}...as i know now ,not only was 4 qts not the capacity for a tranny fluid service for this vehicle, but the fluid was wrong...took closer to 6 qts for pan drop filter change service..had the stuff not been sold to me as the correct material for a certain application this would not be the issue...and theres more to it...if anyone even responds to this then i will elabrate..im not a dick,i deal with the public every day and deal with them honorably....
Old 03-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Running dex/merc in a chrysler trans, especially for that amount of time, will not cause a failure. If they are offering to cover someof your cost jump on it.
If the trans is actually failed, than it was going to fail anyway, it had nothing to do with running dex/merc for 150 miles. You had a problem before you serviced it.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:15 PM

i should have clarified,the transmission overheated on a test drive within 7-10 miles of home,was cruising @ 70 mph ,obviously the jeep snapped out of O/D ,vehicle VIC threw out trans over temp code,i went home,parked her,flushed with around 3 gals of ATF-4(which i believe saved the tranny ,as im still driving it with mentioned issues,no O/D and *****y shift points ). the way i flushed the tranny was this-i cut the transmission return line from the cooler with a pipe cutter{repaired w/rubber hi-temp hose and clamps} and had the engine running,tranny engaged while an assistant poured in the atf 4 until fluid was clean and enough had passed through to ensure torque convertor was flushed,etc..(i purchased 22 qts of atf-4 because i CANNOT find gallons of the stuff...freakin expensive this way) and replaced filter with corrrect type,the type supplied was aftermarket 3 hole filter,type needed(and this is on me,i saw the filters didnt match up,but installed it just using the extra screw hole) was metal encased 2 hole 98 filter(truck is a 97)...didnt think it would be a problem,still getting codes pending p0783 p0740...what my plan of action is
Monday i will order all solenoids/transducers for this tranny,drop the pan and replace them myself,not that complex from what i see...and go from there...O/D light functions,just no O/D ...the speed sensor in the rear of the tranny melted the end off the magnet {already replaced} so im figuring the governor solenoid and o/d solenoid are probably toasted too.....if this resolves the issue i will not chase a rebuild,im not a peckerhead like that,but i will probably ask them to compensate me for the correct transmission fluid and possibly parts i had to replace as a result of the overheating....any input would be appreciated as i dont want to go down this road with the auto parts guy(already been referred to D/Ms GOOD BUDDYS shop whos technician got in my truck,hooked a his computer and erased all codes that i had JUST CHECKED with MY scanner when i pulled in thier shop yard,and said"there is no codes,your engine temp sensor is out"....i think im more pissed about getting the classic con ran on me than anything..i understand CYA but i deal with the public in my work,and have had to process damage claims,and it sucks but i dont freakin lie and cheat when i deal with people....plus AAMCO had already checked the truck and given me an estimate and cited the fluid/filter as primary cause of failure....the tech said my tranny was going out anyway,so then i informed him of the fact that his shop PUT THE TRANNY IN and IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY....he pulled the VIN ,ran the truck now his shop wont call me back.....opinions?
Old 03-17-2012, 03:22 PM

to clarify,yet again,the tech that told me my tranny was going out any way was the D/ms friend(at his "good buddies" shop....also the shop that put the tranny in the first time...with warranty....if it wasnt me i would laugh at the sweet,sweet irony.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee

The trans was bad before. When you drained it all the sediment from the clutches settled on and in the valve body hanging up valves.
When you flushed it with it running, you removed the sediment and freed up whatever valve was sticking.
This is common and its what created the myth of not servicing transmissions with high mileage.

I know its not what you want to hear, but its the truth. There is no way the wrong fluid would burn up a tranny in 150 miles, unless you put motor oil or gear lube in it. (Which I've seen too)
Old 03-18-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

ive ran several quarts of plan old ATF that i had laying in the back of my jeep when i blew a hose driving down the highway, its like motor oil. as long as there is something in there. that is OIL (motor) TRANS FLUID (Trans) Gear oil (axles) their main goal is to be used as pressure and to lubricate, as long as something is in there the machine will be happy. maybe after 15,000 miles and it went sour then i could see how the wrong type of fluid could be a contributing factor, but i think you have/had a more serious problem. im not a transmission guy but the little i know about automatic transmissions fluid is never the source of the faulty equipment, unless you run it low.

Honestly i worked at Advance Auto for about 2 years before joining the military, and if you have any type of morales you will not accept ANYTHING from the company, it was YOUR fault. YOU should have looked in YOUR owner's manual, YOU should know YOUR vehicle, if YOU can't find the info in YOUR owner's manual; then look online. YOU shouldnt have relied on a possibly 19-20 year old kid who doesnt know anything but what his computer tells him. i used to always tell people this " heres the recommended Capicaty XXX quarts. i highly recommend looking in your owner's manual or calling jeep since i only know what the screen tells me" its not that the kid is wrong but you cant expect this kid to know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING. i run by the rules of 5. then check the fluid level and fill accordingly. if everything is stock give her 5 quarts. Ultimately it comes down to its YOUR vehicle, and YOUR responsibility to know what YOUR vehicle needs if your attempting to do the work yourself, if you dont know then you should admit you dont know and take it to someone who knows the proper steps, fluid, amounts, and parts you need.

Ontop of all that. after refilling your transmission the first time. didnt you pull the Dipstick to see where the fluid level was? if you did and you saw it wasnt even on the stick why did you drive it? why didnt you get a buddy or someone to drive you there. 2 quarts isnt enough to fry the trans in 10 minutes, but its definately something that could help speed up the destruction of the inside of the trans.

I think your doing the right thing by trying to replace the sensors. but if its slipping at all. your pretty much done, if its just shifting funny and no O/D it might just be sensors got hot cause they were ran with low fluid and after years of normal wear and tear that was their last leg.

On the note of the shop with the warranty. if you havent heard from them and you feel like they are trying to STIFF you then go up to the shop. confront them! call their Manager, then District Manager, then Regional. then Corporate. theres always someone above them. and after repeated calls and no success... call the Better Business Bureau.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 PM

i pretty much agree with you on the servicing my own vehicle area...thats why im not really being a major dick about it to the company,like i said im more pissed about the repeated attempts at lying and being dishonest in general,but as im not in the industry ,all i can say about how the situation is handled is my personal experience....as far as the capacity being incorrect,thats just evidence in my mind of the laziness associated with this transaction,i have more than one vehicle man,as as i noticed it was low after the service,i immediatley shut it off and used my CAR to go to the store....haha....damn....you sound like you might BE in the industry
Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM

fluid level was never ran low,exept for about 2 seconds during the change..it was filled up to service level with the same fluid i was told to buy
Old 03-18-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

no i hear ya, the person behind the counter should have tried to push you to look into it yourself. cause the computers arent always correct, or you accidently hit the wrong button for the wrong motor or trans or the ex model instead of the dx model for a civic. ya know dumb little ****, and ive been that guy before but i always reminded everyone i spoke with that they should check their manual or call a stealership cause i dont trust the computers, hrmmm with it only running for a little bit on low fluid i dont think that should have been a huge issue. again im not a trans guru, im just trying to speak from my personal experiences, im sure some people can chime in with better advice,

and what state are you from? i know of like 3 or 4 states with jackson counties haha