Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Jeep grand Cherokee v8 1999 model Automatic gearbox or transfer case problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7 V8
Default Jeep grand Cherokee v8 1999 model Automatic gearbox or transfer case problem

Hi

I have a jeep grand Cherokee v8 1999 model automatic gearbox. I am having some trouble with the jeep. About a year ago i was driving with my jeep and stopped at the shop to get some stuff. I got back and started the jeep and put it into drive and did hear like a bang as i tried to take off. It did not want to move so i phoned the towing service to get a low bed to bring the jeep back home. I have checked the gearbox oil but cant get a good reading as you need to drive it so that it heats up the oil. I have removed the back shaft to see if it was the back diff problem ( locked diff). the back wheels are moving. So i have put back the back shaft. When i put it in drive and try to take off it feels like the back of the jeep goes down it to the ground and it is as something is holding it back from moving. I had one person telling me it is the gearbox. Another person told me it is the transfer case, the it can be gear links. Some say drain the oil and replace with a new filter and oil. I mean it is trying to go in drive that is why i am thinking it is not the gearbox but the transfer case? I think something broke and is now stuck in the transfer case preventing it from moving. With out the back shaft all 4 wheels go when you push it, so now wheels are locked and diffs are ok. It also dont want to get out of all the time 4 wheel drive to neutral or 4 wheel low Can someone please help me with advise about the problem

Thanks in advance

Alfie
From South Africa
Old 05-25-2018, 09:58 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Engine: 4.0L

Will the jeep roll with the transmission in neutral? If not, the problem is in the transfer case. It's possible the chain is broken. The only way to know is to disassemble the transfer case.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.7 V8

Hi Dave1123

It was stuck in 4 wheel drive and if i put my grearbox in drive in makes no noise and dont move.Ok so i finally did get it in the transfer case in neutral and it's not moving. I think that it is the chain in the transfer case or the gears my be broken in the transfer case. Here is a link that i also did watched on youtube you can hear the same noise as mine making while in drive and 4 wheel drive. But it is now confirmed that transfer case is broken and it is not moving.

Last edited by AlfieSA; 05-25-2018 at 12:35 PM.