Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Jeep GC - Downhill in neutral (can damage automatic gearbox?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep GC - Downhill in neutral (can damage automatic gearbox?)

Hello,

Recently I drove a Jeep GC (5.7L V8 HEMI 2003?) with (as far I remember) a Quadra-Drive II automatic gearbox. We went a small distance (approx 10m) downhill while being in 4WD LOW and in neutral (N). While braking bit-by-bit we did this very slowly.
Reaching the bottom of the hill, I shifted again in drive and after a few seconds later we noticed a banging-noise. We found that the right-front homo-kinetic drive-shaft was broken (just next to the spline at the connection to the wheel). The crack-surface appeared to me as fatique (like there was already a crack in development before it broke).
We still could drive a bit, but noticed loss of power (in 4WD HIGH) and when driving up the ramp of a car-trailer it appeared as if the brake (when shifting in P) was not working.

Some questions:
- Can going downhill (slowly by braking) in neutral mode (and 4WD LOW) cause damage to the automatic gearbox?
- Can Can going downhill (slowly by braking) in neutral mode (and 4WD LOW) cause damage to the homo-kinetic drive-shaft / joint?
- With one drive-shaft broken, can this cause the automatic brakes (shifted in P) to stop working?
- With one drive-shaft broken, does this cause a huge power-loss in 4WD hi mode?
- Are there any (design) issues known with the homo-kinetic drive-shafts for this model?

Thanks a lot for your help.