Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Jeep GC feels like it loses power

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2006 WK
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V-8
Default Jeep GC feels like it loses power

Hello,

This is my first forum post and this is also my first Jeep, so I am a little lost when it comes to troubleshooting issues that come around. However, I have a 2006 GC 4.7L 4X4. When I feel like I am losing power when I drive, it almost feels like after it shifts I am in a higher gear, like when it shift into 2nd, it feels like at lower RPMs I am in 4th if that makes sense. I am thinking that it could possibly be my torque converter, but I'm not sure if there is a definate way to diagnose it, I am hoping it is a sensor or something a little cheaper.

has anyone else had this issue?
Old 05-06-2015, 04:09 PM

Model: Cherokee
Engine: 3.7
Default Losing power.

While all of this is going on, is the PRND bracketed like it is in all gears at the same time? I know that is a bit hard to understand so I'll try to explain. When you are in a gear or park, the shift selector on the dash shows the gear you are in with brackets, [ ], around that gear (except the brackets are on top and bottom of the gear). My 2006 used to stay in one gear and when that happened, all of the letters in the PRND were bracketed. I Googled that and found a you tube video on how to clean graphite streaks on the selector board under the shifter. It took all of fifteen minutes to accomplish to entire task and solved that problem.

Hope this helps.

Later!
Ed
Old 05-06-2015, 07:17 PM

Year: 2006 WK
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V-8
Default losing power

There's only a bracket over one when driving. It's kind of weird. Maybe there's a sensor that's bad but there's no check engine light.

It also seems like when I'm driving and I get to a out 2500 rpms it doesn't want to shift and revs up then shifts. Not sure of that's a normal jeep thing. And there is also a bit of a clunk when I go from park to drive and drive to park but I was told that's normal. Not sure of that true though.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:50 AM

Model: Cherokee
Engine: 3.7

My past experience is that a clunk is usually the backlash spacing in the rear. I am at a lose on your other problem.

Later!
Ed