Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

info for BB users

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default info for BB users

I installed a buget boost kit over a year ago to raise my GC enough to install taller tires, I went with General all terrains and love them, they are 31" tall and lighter than BFG's. My rear suspension was making noise and the rear control arm needed to be replaced, but while working on that I noticed that the springs and isolators were sliding off of the BB spacers (dayton style), I removed the springs while everything was apart and found that the isolators won't stay in place, the problem was the isolators had nothing to hold them in place, the center of the isolator was completely ovaled out and crushed because the spacer raised the isolator above the snubber mount so that only the rubber snubber kept the isolator from moving, the snubber was 1/2" smaller than the mount letting it move around. I installed the kit per the instruction to the bottom of the spring, but in researching I see the newer kits are mounting all the spacers to the top of the springs, I saw that the problem with being on the bottom of the rear spring was that there was no longer anything to keep the spring or the isolator in place other than the dish in the spacer. I moved the spacers to the top of the spring and found that the mount was deep enough to put the spacer and isolator on and still protruded thru the spacer 3/4". This seems to be the better way to mount these spacers, with new bottom isolators and the spacers moved to the top the whole thing seems to work better, I also noticed that the spacers on the bottom let a lot of water and rust build up in the spring pocket. I don't go off road but I live out in the country and I just wanted a more agrressive tire and more ground clearance along with a decent ride. The BB is an okay setup for what I wanted. My Grand Cherokee limited is a 2004 v-8
Old 02-29-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Good to know. Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking of getting the BB kit for my 2001 GC to let it sit a little bit higher. I was thinking of just leaving the stock tires on it.

RIZ