I need a little cooling system diagnostic help... - Jeep Cherokee Forum
Jeep Cherokee Forum

Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a little cooling system diagnostic help...

Old 06-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #1  

View Kymasabe's Photo Album My Photos
Model: Cherokee
Default I need a little cooling system diagnostic help...

2004 WJ, 4.0 liter, auto trans, 2WD, remote trans cooler, approx 165K miles.
So, wife called me today, saw "smoke" coming from under hood. She immediately pulled over and popped the hood, upper radiator hose had blown off the top of the radiator.
Now, I installed that radiator about a year ago,I know damn well that hose was on tightly. And, I had flushed the cooling system at that time, the coolant was new/fresh. So, today I put the hose back on, clamped it down tightly, filled the radiator with some water so I could get it home. I started the Jeep and had it running while I added more water to the radiator to burp out any trapped air in the system, I kept watching the temp gauge and before I knew it, was just below the red line on the temp gauge, at the 240 degree+ mark, and that was with radiator cap off, no pressure. I shut it down, let it cool, had it towed home.
When I looked in the radiator neck, all I saw was thick brown goop, looked like a baby had taken a sh*t in my radiator. Can't be trans fluid as I bypassed the trans cooler in the radiator, running remote trans cooler only. Is it possibly oil?
I looked at the oil expectin to see a milk shake but the oil looks fine. I started to pressure test the system when I got home, pumped up to 15lbs, lost 2 lbsin 10 minutes, pumped up again and maintained 15 lbs for 10 minutes, then it started raining to I disconnected the tested and closed the hood.
So, I don't have a shop manual...so....what should I do? Pressure test again, this time for longer? Should I throw a thermostat in it and see what happens? What could all the brown crap be from ? My coolant now looks brown, I'm not sure if it looks oily though. Diagnostic help please.
Kymasabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #2  

View tom3holer's Photo Album My Photos
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

That brown goop may be a leak stop additive called Bars stop leak.
tom3holer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #3  

View Kymasabe's Photo Album My Photos
Model: Cherokee

Residual stop-leak possibly, but I replaced the radiator a year ago.
Kymasabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #4  
CF Veteran

View dave1123's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It could be rust sediment from the bottom of the block being stirred up after the overheat. There's only 2 things that I think could have built up enough pressure to blow off that hose; steam or compression leakage. With either of those the cap should be screaming venting it first I would think unless you have a suddenly blown head gasket.

BTW, normal pressure should be 18 psi.
dave1123 is online now   Reply With Quote