Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

I need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5,9 magnum 360
Default I need help

Hello everyone! I have a problem with the radiator fan, he is working, what is not working. I have a Magnum 360 in Moscow the price for the new fan 26,000 rubles (840 dollars). Basically I need the engine itself can from what some other fans fit?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

I dont know what was available in Russia but is this a 98 ZJ 5.9? If not give us a little more info on your Jeep please. You might check local scrap yards, maybe you can find one on a wrecked Jeep. Also take a tape measure and look at other vehicles that might have a fan you can modify to make it fit, just get one as big as possible.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:29 AM

I found a fan of Volvo's 940 brought forward when said must go one to one. I will wait
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 AM

Yes I have a grand 5.9 '98 in very good condition, mileage 80,000 km, all ideally, only the fan brain f...k)))
Old 02-18-2013, 06:21 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

If you want to, you can wire the fan directly to run all the time. This will not hurt the engine, but may wear the fan out quickly. This is just an idea to save money.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 AM

This is understandable, but I have broken the fan engine itself, I change the brush, but it does not help, here and decided to change it, but the original in Moscow is, as I wrote, big money. We are not you))))
For example in 2011, my father bought a Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi so it fully loaded cost about 3.6 million rubles (116,000 dollars). This is due to the policy customs tax of 3-4 Euro per 1 cc
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 AM

I apologize for my English! While in general I'm very happy with the car, I drive the last 10 years the brand. Machine is not slain, reliable and not expensive to maintain, except for some deteley. As I wrote above, the new fan worth $ 900))))
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 AM
Old fart with a wrench

I completely understand the money problem. I was talking about the Volvo fan you said you could get. Do you have enough room for an engine driven fan? One from a Dodge truck might fit.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:01 AM

))) No, no it's not about the money, but the fact that you have this fan is an average of $ 250 right? and the remaining $ 650 people take for delivery! but this is ridiculous. So I do not want to overpay. Okay disassembling itself))))
Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Are there any electrical repair shops that can rewind the motor? That might cost too much.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 AM

it has repaired 1000))) He did not be repaired
Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 AM
Old fart with a wrench

I am sorry, Vitaliy. I have no more ideas for you. You should be able to find something that will work. Just about any electric fan will work. Just use that Russian know how.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 AM

Thank you and do not apologize! I certainly will decide the issue!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

Sounds like your fan motor is burnt out. Here's a write up from a fellow Jeeper at thespeedfreaks.net

Originally Posted by RINGWRAITH
E-FAN RESTORE!!!!

Ok, first remove the E-fan shroud, two 13mm bolts on top and unplug the harness......

Then remove the retainer clip on the back side of the fan with a flat screw driver and small hammer, thats right hit it! Look at the retainer, there is a small window in which to place the screw driver for this purpose, remove clip....then pull up on the fan blades and remove....
Then remove the three retainer bolts (10mm socket) that well, retains the ele. motor and remove from shroud...
Using a 13mm socket remove the two brackets that retain the shroud and restore by sanding away any scale, prime and finish paint, do the retainer clip also and the fan bolts...set aside to dry...

Brackets restored:

Now, clean the shroud and fan blades, 409 first then a plastic cleaner/restorer (your choice) let dry and spray a heavy coat of Engine Shine, let tack up then wipe down:

I ordered a new VDO Siemens fan motor from Amazon, 63 skins shipped, the reasons are our stock fans are just too old and almost always fail, the VDO fan is new and is more powerful spinning the fan faster so this is a MUST up grade...Part# is in the pic, this is almost an exact fit except for the ele. connections,,,,:

I picked up the pigtail that fits the motor, and it is a crimp/solder connection to the stock harness....BTW "Crimps are for kids" "Silly Rabbit" solder is the only method to be used here.
Part# for the pigtail is:
WPT-168

Pigtail mounted to the motor:

Now remove the harness clip end from the stock motor, give yourself a few inches and strip the ends of the three wires, RED, BLACK and GREEN...

RED is + high speed
BLACK is - ground
GREEN is + low speed

On the new VDO motors ele. connections plug there are two markings + and - and a middle prom. - is ground and connects to the stock plugs black wire.....+ is high speed and connects to the stock red wire, and the middle prom/wire in the low speed that connects to the stock green wire.....

The new pigtail has three black wires, so match them up at the fans plug....cut the right length, strip the ends and solder:

After the right amount of solder is applied, I reheated the solder puddle until it flowed out with 100% coverage, front to back, side to side then used the industrial shrink wrap supplied in the harness kit:

Then I taped between the three wires to ensure against shorts due to vibration, then doubled wrapped the the three wires together and covered with convolute tubing and secured it both ends with wire ties:
And because the connector on my stock fan had broken locator/anchor pins, I secured the new set up to the stock holes in the shroud.....

Of course I remounted the motor....which has three tabs and uses three bolts, one of the tabs is square and matches a square mounting point on the shroud, this orients the motor in the correct position so the pigtail points towards the factory harnesses end:

Once this is secured, flip the shroud over and mount the fan blades with the stock clip...the rear of the fan has a three prong locator that fits into the fan blade assembly, match this up and press the blades in place:

Of note here... becareful not to dislodge the fan counter weight used to balance the assembly, they are located usually on the blades and look like a small panel clip, this is very important, if removed, the fan will wobble and wear out the motors bearings prematurely!!! Its hard to see so I used a laser to mark its position in the pic...look closely!!!

Now mount the shrouds retainer brackets that you restored with a 13mm scoket:

And YER DONE!!!! remount the shroud and connect the harness.....

This fan looks factory new and preforms better than stock!!
Don't buy the pigtail from a ford dealer, prices have changed and have gone waaaaay up from a year or two ago....they are on Scream-Bay and Amazone for around 22skins...
Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Thanks, Country boy. You KNOW I needed help. I wonder if it would be cheaper for someone to buy it for him and UPS it to him. It sounds like there's too many greedy people in the parts stream over there. $250 for the part and $650 for delivery? WTF?