Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Hydrolocked my ZJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hydrolocked my ZJ

1996 Grand Cherokee Limited. 5.2 motor.

Ok so engine will run but now I have a LOUD knock. Coming I think from drivers side top of engine. Bent pushrod? Maybe messed up valve? No clue havent started pulling it apart yet.

Question. What other trucks had the same engine? Im thinking of going to junk yard and pulling one out of another vehicle and would like a direct swap in. I know many Dodge motors are 318. Any of them the same as the Jeep?

Also if money permits I may take new (the one from junkyard) engine and when I rebuild it maybe hop it up some. Was thinking Mild Cam and different heads. So on that note anyone know if thats doable? And if so what head part number would be good? And what would be a decent mild cam? And will the hop up parts effect the tune at all and mess with transmission shifting?

I hear that the dodge trucks have ALT mounted on different side. So the 92-02 Dodge magnums from a 4x4 are kinda different and wont just pop into a ZJ? ZJ 5.2 cost more then a Dodge 4x4 because there is alot more dodge 4x4s in the yard then 5.2 jeeps. sucks.

Any ideas on new heads or mild cam part numbers? If Im going to pull from junkyard was going to rebuild it before putting it in. Adding Heads and cam while tore down would be pretty easy if I can find the right part numbers. Thanks for the responses guys.

And I assume the Durango is also different like the 4x4 trucks?

Hope all that made sense. Thanks in advance for any help people will come up with.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:04 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

A long a you are willing to change the brackets and accessories over, any 5.2 from the same era will work. Some of the trucks had different heads but that just effects performance, not fit. I would stock with something out of a half ton if from a full size or go with a dakota/durango. A 5.9 will also bolt up. Just be sure to get the computer with it, our have yours reflashed.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Just get another zj motor... Then do a mild stoke along with cam and heads
Old 06-11-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by wiggles
Just get another zj motor... Then do a mild stoke along with cam and heads

Thats along the lines of what I was thinking. Have any part numbers or specs to use?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

The zj motor will be a direct swap and much easier than dropping in a dodge. I don't have part #'s cuz I have an xj but just do some research. There are many companies out there that offer the parts just find what's best. And for the stroke I would just do like .30 over with new pistons. Then a cam with a little bit bigger intake and exhaust duration. Then for the heads you could get your stock ones ported and polished or jump into the aftermarket world and get heads with a little more compression.
But you have to think about all the costs.
New motor
Machining
New pistons
New cam
Head work/ new heads
You would have to replace all hardware too like the head bolts I would replace with studs to take more abuse
Then when you go to put it in you want to replace all of the things that wear out such as:
Motor mounts and tranny mount
Plugs
Wires
Cap and rotor or a new distributor
I'd say if your gonna do all that, depending on pricing in your area your probably looking at like $2500-5000 based on what all you get... The other option is to get a jy zj motor that looks to be in good shape with somewhat low miles and just freshen it up a little
There is a lot to think through when you go into this and its just not cheap
Old 06-11-2012, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the info. Yeah figured it would reach up there a bit. Thanks Again
Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

No problem that's what I'm here for