Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

grand cherokee electrical fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default grand cherokee electrical fault

Hello,
I have a grand cherokee, registration year 57
While driving, the Electronic Stability Programme/Brake Assist System (ESP/BAS) warning light came on, the Electronic Stability Programme/Traction Control System (ESP/TCS) indicator light came on, the Airbag warning light came on.
Also the the windscreen wipers started and they wouldn't turn off. Tried to indicate and the indicators were not working.
None of the dashboard panels, radio, Sat Nav, air conditioning, radio automatic seats didn't work.
Later found the central locking system didn't work.
The car starts and runs ok with the lights and brake lights working ok.
We found it keeps blowing a fuse, marked JB, sometimes when it is driving sometimes when you just start the ignition.
We have taken it to a service sation but they charged a fortune and couldn't find anything.
As a suggestion based on work experience (not on vehicles, I am an IT engineer with a small knowledge of electrics) that could it be a damaged cable shorting occasionally ?
Does anybody has any ideas or can help.
Also is there anywhere, on-line or other, that I can find electrical diagrams of the grand Cherokee or diagrams showing the wiring harnesses
Regards.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, welcome to CF! By your language, I'll assume you are in the UK, am I correct? You reference to registration year 57 doesn't mean anything to us. We need to know the actual year of manufacture to understand what it is we're working with.

It sounds to me your jeep is a newer model that we are used to working on, judging by your mentioning traction control and brake assist. Most of the people here are used to working on Cherokees and Grand Cherokees up to about 2004, but we'll do what we can.

There are a lot of differences between the export models and the US models. For instance, we weren't allowed to buy diesels until this year. All the later models rely too much on electronic systems for my liking. There are so many "assist" systems that soon, cars will be driving themselves.

I'm 70 years old and have been working on cars and trucks since I was 16. If I ever buy another car in my life, it will be a restored older model.

Having said that, how can we help?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default grand cherokee electrical fault

Hello,
yes I am in thr UK.
Sorry iiI didn't realise, the registration is for 2008 and you are correct there are so many assists and electronics that so much can go wrong.
Any help will be appreciated
Regards
Old 07-29-2014, 05:46 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, Ppeetteerr, we've got to get one of our electronic guys to answer this post. Ever since the '90s when jeep started with electronic fuel injection, things got complicated enough that it wasn't easy to diagnose problems. One of the most common posts on this website is "It won't start, what's the problem?"

This is the point where most people would say take it to your dealer. YOUR problem is there isn't much in the way of dealer support in the UK, as you know. Even if there was, it would cost you a pound of flesh to get it fixed. It just cost me $615 USD to get the "clockspring" in my steering wheel fixed. That's the electrical connection to the airbag and cruise control in my steering wheel. Just the part cost $300 USD, and that isn't even a complicated electronic circuit.

The main reason I'm answering your post it to try to generate enough interest for someone who knows about your 2008 to respond because I really can't help you with your problem. I'd like very much to be able to, but it's beyond my understanding.

OKAY GUYS, pick up the slack here, will you!