Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Grand Cherokee buyers Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Grand Cherokee buyers Checklist

So as some of you my xj was stolen so I'm looking at getting a GC probably a wj thought i would be cool if you GC guys could hook it up with a "what to look for and what to avoid list". ::example wet passenger side floor on xj check for rust and a/c overflow. Thanks guys.

This might make a good sticky i wouldn't mind doing one for the xj.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 AM

Year: 1997

The only things that went wrong with my daughter's 01 were the heated seats went out and the electric engine cooling fan relay died twice. (It is a royal PITA to change as it is under teh passenger headlight and the first time you have to pull the entire now of the truck off to get it. After that, you can cut an access hole.) Oh. And it burned up a solenoid in the auto tranny that I had to replace.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:00 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L Petrol/Gas

Having owned a 2000 WJ for 18 months, besides the usual – the two main issues I have suffered relate to the aircon, which has known issues. The blower motor controller power plug is prone to failing as a result of increased contact resistance (not sufficiently rated for the current drawn); and the blend doors (which control the temperature of the air entering the cabin) fail eventually. Fix of the latter issue involves removing the dash – with accompanying garage bill (although one entrepreneurial company makes a fix that involves cutting into the duct-work to avoid removal of the dash).

So give the aircon controls a full work out – but that won’t stop it failing the day after you buy the vehicle.

I would give serious consideration to plugging in an OBD scanner to check that all is OK with no pending codes showing.

The hood gas struts on my WJ were shot at the time of purchase – but they are cheap and easy to replace.

Make sure you have the radio code and locking key for the alloys.

Given the amount of electrics on modern vehicles – check everything that you would want to work works.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995

good to know thanks guys. Oh and the blend doors we also have a titan which are notorious for heater problems i had to pull the dash to replace the blend door servo and put it back on track it was a *****
Old 01-28-2011, 08:34 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Also window prob not wanting to go up and down
Old 03-12-2011, 05:23 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

Gas cap code. I've had my check engine light on for as long as I've had the Jeep, code is for the gas cap being off or something like that. I've just had to get the code cleared a day or so before emission testing and it's been ok. I've replaced the cap, it's not it, and I've seen the same thing happen to someone else. If you see one with the check engine light on, might be that, but you'd obviously want to get it checked out. Love my WJ though, it's my family Jeep.