Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

GC, Not draining Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default GC, Not draining Oil

I am having a strange issue with my older 94 GC, V8.... It runs like a dream went to change the oil and the tech said it was out of Oil which was odd, it has never burned and after I left the engine started smoking went back and it was overfilled by 2 qts... They drained the excess and it ran fine for a few weeks and then started acting low, I checked the stick and it showed low 1 qt. filled it and then started it and then it read over. all this within 4 weeks took it to anouther oil change place and they said the filter weighed like 4 lbs and once again changed it out and underfilled (4.9) it and then started it and it shows its over. So they had to drain out some.

Its running fine but am concerned about what may be going on inside. Its my intent to pull the pan and see if their is a bunch of sludge build up but wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas

thanks
T:
Old 06-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by newdawn
I am having a strange issue with my older 94 GC, V8.... It runs like a dream went to change the oil and the tech said it was out of Oil which was odd, it has never burned and after I left the engine started smoking went back and it was overfilled by 2 qts... They drained the excess and it ran fine for a few weeks and then started acting low, I checked the stick and it showed low 1 qt. filled it and then started it and then it read over. all this within 4 weeks took it to anouther oil change place and they said the filter weighed like 4 lbs and once again changed it out and underfilled (4.9) it and then started it and it shows its over. So they had to drain out some.

Its running fine but am concerned about what may be going on inside. Its my intent to pull the pan and see if their is a bunch of sludge build up but wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas

thanks
T:
if I was you I would be popping open that pan right now. something is going on. sludge buildup could be an issue.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:29 PM

ya that is my Intent, Just not sure if something else could be going that i should be looking for
Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 PM

I would drain at least 2 quarters and put engine flush. It is like kerosene. Idle for at least 10 min. Do not accelerate.
That should drop everything into pan. Then drop the pan and clean oil pump pick up(mesh).