Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Fuel Pump Whine

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default Fuel Pump Whine

Hello!

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee that previously had a whining noise coming from the fuel pump or at least that area. When I turned the Jeep on it would make a whining noise, when I turned the key to on but not start it, it would make a short whining noise as well which seemed to indicate the fuel pump from what I have read.

I recently just replaced the fuel pump and filter which at first seemed to correct the whining noise. A day later or so the whining noise came back so now I'm trying to determine if there is anything else that might be causing this whining noise? I've seen some people mention the fuel pressure regulator but I'm unsure if there is anything else that might possibly be causing it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Alex
Old 01-19-2015, 06:19 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

First of all, welcome to CF!

A whining fuel pump doesn't mean it's bad or about to fail. Many replacement pumps whine just because of their construction. A stock Mopar pump will whine, but it's so quite you have to really be listening for it.

When the key is turned on, the PCM runs the pump just long enough to pressurize the system. Then it won't run until either the engine fires or the key is turned off. On the 2002 jeeps, the fuel pressure regulator is part of the filter. That's why there are 3 hoses on it. One is overpressure return-to-tank.

The only other thing I can think of that would cause it to whine is a clogged intake sock on the pump, but you should have noticed that on the old one.