Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Front end popping

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Front end popping

I've got an 02 WJ that has developed a popping in the front end over the past couple of days. We've had snow and ice here so I've had it in 4wheel full time quite a bit on the highways. I drove it around the parking lot to try to isolate it. It's coming from the front end, sounds like the driver side. It does it in 4 wheel drive esp when I cut the wheel hard and back up- but not in 2 wheel drive. All of this has lead me to believe that it's the cv joint on the driver side of the front axle. BUT the boot on it doesn't appear to be torn. It could be, I won't be able to jack it up for a better look until this weekend. Can a cv joint go out when the boot is still intact? I'm sure it can, but is that common? Also, it seems to be slow to come out of 4 wheel drive. I've searched the threads to find an answer to this problem, but can't find anything addressing my specific problem. I'm a brand-new jeep owner, so I would appreciate any help! Thanx!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:30 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would check out the tie-rod ends, If not maybe front driveshaft u-joints, or even transfercase chain. To answer the question on CV joints, YES they go bad even with a good boot.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 PM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0

Ok - well I think I found the culprit. I took it to my grandad's shop tonight and climbed up underneath it to have a look. It appears that the rubber boot on the cv joint end of my front drive shaft is torn. I guess this is where the popping noise is coming from. SO- anyone know how big a deal this is to replace? What the most cost-effective means of replacement is? I'm not made of money but I'd really like to have it fixed. Also, how long can I drive it this way before something bad happens? Or will it?
Thanks for your help!!
Attached Thumbnails Front end popping-front-axle-1.jpg   Front end popping-front-axle-2.jpg  
Old 02-11-2010, 09:22 PM

Year: 2004
Engine: I6

ive changed quite a few cv joints in many cars and trucks. If you have basic mechanicaal skill you can change the axel out. just make sure you find a good write up to fill in the particulars if you have never done one.