Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

fix ac drain from wheelwell

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default fix ac drain from wheelwell

I am new to this site. read a post that told how to fix ac drain leak that wet passenger side floorboard. It had pictures with measurements. The pictures have been deleted from post. The post was from 2008. If anyone has these pictures or step by step instructions on how to cut the wheelwell and install the hose on the ac drain so it won't leak back into the cabin it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I think on a 98 ZJ the drain can be seen from under the hood, it's the 93-95 model years that the drain is inside the frame. Stupid engineering, if you ask me.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Reply

I have already looked under the hood and could not locate a drain hose, the water is draining out the frame under the vehicle. I have also done the clean out by drilling a hole in the box under the passenger dash, blowing it out and plugging the hole. That helped quite a bit, but still leaks a little and keeps the backing to the carpet wet. Thank you for your reply all help is appreciated.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Have you checked the drain to see if it is plugged with leaves, pine needles, etc? My wife's Dodge Caravan would fill up the plenum so much, it sounded like a bathtub when you went around corners.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by Computersmith
I am new to this site. read a post that told how to fix ac drain leak that wet passenger side floorboard. It had pictures with measurements. The pictures have been deleted from post. The post was from 2008. If anyone has these pictures or step by step instructions on how to cut the wheelwell and install the hose on the ac drain so it won't leak back into the cabin it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
The thread you mentioned was written by ET JEEP, and was a great help to those that saw it. Send him a Private Message and ask him for those pics. I think he's working on getting them reinstalled in the thread by the staff.
Here's the thread. >->https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f52/ac...pet-fix-24246/
Old 09-25-2012, 04:43 AM

dave1123, thanks for you reply. If you mean the doglegs,Yes, I checked them for blockage. What I am getting is just enough of a leak to keep the barrier on the backside of the carpet wet, but not the carpet.
I'm trying to get the dimensions on exactly where to cut the wheel well so I don't cut the frame or any kind on line. I have sealed around the drain where it goes into the firewall as well as I could. I think mine is doing what ET JEEP said and running back down the drainpipe back into the cabin. I am getting quite a bit of drainage out the frame so it does not appear to be blocked.
ol"blue, also thank you for the reply and suggestion. I actually sent him a message before I started this thread. I figured I would ask everyone in case someone may have kept the photos or email on their computer. I wanted to do the repair this weekend.
I hope I don't sound like I'm blowing anyone off, I really appreciate any and all replies. I have been very surprised at how quickly members have responded to my thread. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 PM

Model: Cherokee

I need this fix as well. I also sent et jeep a pm to get the pics.