Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Failed Emissions Inspection 2005 Grand Cherokee 8 cyl

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Failed Emissions Inspection 2005 Grand Cherokee 8 cyl

Hi Everyone,

I need your help. I just did a search through google to see how I might resolve my issue and I came upon this forum, so I signed up to get some advise.

I recently brought my 2005 Grand Cherokee to Jiffy Lube for an inspection and it failed due to the battery coming up "not ready". Here is a little background for my issue - (1) my battery died this past February, so I purchased a new one and had it installed (2) Then last month I got into a minor car accident and had to get my bumper replaced (I do not know if the mechanic took the battery out during the repairs and then put it back in). I'm not sure which situation is having the battery register as "not ready", but I was told to "just drive it around and the system will reset, then you can bring it back in and we'll put it back on the computer to see if it passed" ... been back there 2x since and it keeps failing. They said... "oh just keep driving, every car is different, we have no other answers for you, you just have to keep driving it around." I have put 350 miles on my car since I got it back from the autobody place on 8/25/12 and it's still not passing the inspection. Could there be something else wrong with my car? I have called different mechanics in the meantime and they are telling me, too, that I have to keep driving it around. I work in Manhattan, so my car is basically a "sunday car" - it sits all week and I only drive on the weekends. Could it have do with that I don't drive as frequently and that's why its not "resetting"?

I'm really having a hard time getting my car to pass this inspection, please help. Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF. If the only reason you're not passing is because the battery has been removed/disconnected and that has set a code, that's easy to fix. Codes are stored for 50 key starts without the issue recurring, then they are cleared by the computer. You just need to start your vehicle 50 times before you have it tested again. I'm not suggesting you just start it then turn it off, over and over again, that's not good for the engine or the starter and might set other codes. I'm just telling how to clear the code. You need to drive it on trips of a mile at least, then shut it off and restart.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

mechanic probably disconnected the battery when doing the bumper work so he didnt risk setting off the airbags accidently