Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Factory fitted alarm hell, need to get rid of it. 1996 limited.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4lt
Default Factory fitted alarm hell, need to get rid of it. 1996 limited.

new member today, I have a grand Cherokee limited jeep 1996, owned it for 3 years now and no problems at all until I disconnected the battery!!!!
Now the alarm will sound all the time, so much so I have stopped using the jeep and it's sitting in my drive with no battery in it. I love the car and really need to find out how to disable the alarm permanently, any help/advice would be very welcome.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Try locking the doors with the switch on the drivers door then shut the door and unlock it (drivers door) with just the key,that should reset the alarm system.

To permanently disable,cut and ground out purple/yellow wire under driver side kick panel. Theres other ways too but i think thats the easiest.
The following users liked this post:
MacCamezie Scott (08-14-2020)
Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 PM

Engine: 4lt
Smile

Thank you for the quick response, I will try that this coming weekend.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 AM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by seed
Try locking the doors with the switch on the drivers door then shut the door and unlock it (drivers door) with just the key,that should reset the alarm system.
Yep, this worked for me. My ZJ Limited is my second car now and I failed to drive it for a month (bad, I know) and the battery died. After recharging and driving it around for the last week, the alarm would trigger about 1 minute after locking it.

Tried this suggestion and it worked. Lock the doors using the doors lock switch on the drivers side door, close the door and immediately (while the red alarm light is rapidly flashing) insert the key to unlock. Boom, reset! No more faulty triggers!
Old 05-04-2013, 05:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

swamped mine. that took care of the alarm. haha. Not the suggested method.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

if unlocking with the drivers door keyhole doesnt work, try the passenger door or the tailgate. over time the drivers door lock cylinder/switch can get worn out from so many uses.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:57 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6

I had a similar problem on a 1994 and eventually traced it to a bad sensor inside the tailgate. Disconnected that and had no more trouble ever.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:47 PM

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. The driver's seat adjustment motor is no longer working and has been discontinued and no longer available. My question is, will I be able to use the motor from the front passenger seat and mount it on the driver's seat. Would appreciate any helpful suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited by Dr. Love; 11-20-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:17 PM

To permanently disable,cut and ground out purple/yellow wire under driver side kick panel. Theres other ways too but i think thats the easiest.

I cut and grounded it but its still not telling ecm I guess not to send fuel how would I fix that..did the battery tricks didn't work..i had to put a new key switch in it I lost the original so cant do the door lock trick I'm guessing
Old 05-20-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0

thank you seed! woke up last night at 3 AM to my alarm. after silencing it i did a quick forum search and this popped up. went to bed and after work today i located the purple/yellow wire, grounded another wire and then connected the two. the LED no longer blinks. thanks!