Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Is it even worth the money

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Is it even worth the money

I have an 04 laredo 4 wheel drive select trac and my trans went my front diff is making noise and maybe my rear diff but i doubt it since the dealer replaced the rear a year ago. It has a whopping 116k on the dash I have heard these jeeps last till about 300k SO should I shell out the cash to get the trans rebuilt and the front diff fixed or should I junk it, sell it and get a different suv?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You sure the transmission is toast? Have you checked the front axle out, or just think it's busted because of noise? 116k mile is NOTHING, even by even the crappiest car standards. What other SUV did you have in mind?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Big 4.0L

fixing the veihicle you have is cheaper than buying a new one
Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 PM

Its at the transmission shop now and Ill know what is wrong with it tomorrow at 10:30ish. When I stop hard it makes a roaring sound I thought it was the brakes but I had them checked and they are fine. When I stopped hard after the roaring it sounded like a marble rolling down a wooden table. The clutch case was making the grinding noise when stopping. It also hard as hell to take out of park. As for new SUV any other then Jeep if this is a new trans or anything major.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:35 PM

Yes extreme but how much money am I going to spend fixing this Jeep thats a pavement roller? Would it be cheaper in the long run to get a new used SUV with the extended warranty
Old 08-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: Big 4.0L

that's your call if you have the coin. But I guess I do all my own labor
Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 high output

I would snag a transmission from the junk yard. Front diff too. But that's me. Take a weekend and swap them out.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:29 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.slow

Most of the people on this forum, do a lot of work on their own vehicles, therefore, fixing stuff is ALWAYS cheaper than a monthly car payment. Not to sound like a complete *******, but it doesnt sound like you know a whole lot about cars, or do many repairs yourself, due to the coments about marbles, diffs and clutch cases on an automatic. My wife has a 2000 WJ, and she wouldnt drive anything else. I had a water pump fail while i was driving it a few months back, and it took out the cylinder head. So, i called Clearwater Cylinder head in FL(i wouldnt buy a head from anyone else, their customer service is spectacular), replaced the water pump and the freeze plugs, and i was out a total of $500. Its got 190K and runs like a champ. So, I spent a whole day(Lots of cursing, not being able to EVER find the right socket) and tore it apart, and put it back together. One months car payment, and it was back on the road, knowing that the only expense i have is maintenance, gas and insurance, because its paid for. My wife asked if she could drive this jeep forever, and i told her as long as she doesnt completely total it, everything is replaceable with used parts. Yeah a transmission replacement from a tranny shop will probably run you 2000 or so, but if you can do it yourself, you can pick up a used trans for less than $500($100 if you know where to look), and youre back on the road again.

Moral of the story: of course its worth the money, just make sure that you spend wisely, and dont jump at the first outrageous price you get. consider your alternatives. And, of course its worth it. its a JEEP.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:51 PM

I know a lot about race cars I have worked on cars for about 8 years but they were all 2 wheel drive so no differentials. No 4 wheel drive stuff the GC motor I can fix the diffs and transmission I have no clue. I live in Buffalo I needed something for the snow so I figured a Jeep can handle it so I bought one. Ill learn as I go but as for the four wheel drive system I have no idea whats going on in there or what to look for. The noises Ive never heard anything like that before and thats as close as I could describe the noise. The growling sounded like the front left axle maybe going might be a bearing that froze but Im not sure. Its true if I bought the parts myself and did the work it would be less but then again I would probably have something misaligned and have to pay double what I would have to originally pay a shop to have it fixed. The real question though is how many break downs and repairs do these suvs need?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.slow

if you keep up with the maintenance on it the break downs are few and far between, but can happen. i suggest getting someone else to diagnose it for you, then take their recommendation and get a buddy who is handy with a wrench to come over and help. if you have been working on race cars, then doing an R&R on a tranny shouldnt be too big a deal. if youre unsure how the 4wd works, then get a repair manual to walk you through the removal process. building an engine is a lot more involved and complicated than replacing a tranny, besides, everything is just held together with nuts and bolts.

and from your profile, how do you have a 2004 cherokee???????
Old 08-16-2013, 11:18 PM

ok fixed and yeh thats what i plan on doing its free for a diag and then ill see where we are at its tough when you dont have a garage and your neighbors call about everything they can.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I hear ya, bro! I once lived in an apartment complex and tried to change my air filter and someone called the super! From that day until I moved out, I made sure I checked my oil everyday! Just to **** people off. Uh, Oh. He's got the hood open again!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by t4bluebird
I have an 04 laredo 4 wheel drive select trac and my trans went my front diff is making noise and maybe my rear diff but i doubt it since the dealer replaced the rear a year ago. It has a whopping 116k on the dash I have heard these jeeps last till about 300k SO should I shell out the cash to get the trans rebuilt and the front diff fixed or should I junk it, sell it and get a different suv?
Xjs last grand fall apart judge by junk yard ratios
Old 08-17-2013, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by t4bluebird
I know a lot about race cars I have worked on cars for about 8 years but they were all 2 wheel drive so no differentials. No 4 wheel drive stuff the GC motor I can fix the diffs and transmission I have no clue. I live in Buffalo I needed something for the snow so I figured a Jeep can handle it so I bought one. Ill learn as I go but as for the four wheel drive system I have no idea whats going on in there or what to look for. The noises Ive never heard anything like that before and thats as close as I could describe the noise. The growling sounded like the front left axle maybe going might be a bearing that froze but Im not sure. Its true if I bought the parts myself and did the work it would be less but then again I would probably have something misaligned and have to pay double what I would have to originally pay a shop to have it fixed. The real question though is how many break downs and repairs do these suvs need?
2wd don't have differentials ? lol
Old 08-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Maybe he's talking about FWDs. They're internal to the transmission.

Quick Reply: Is it even worth the money