Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Emergency Secondary Hood Release

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Emergency Secondary Hood Release

A thread on a Dodge Ram forum prompted me to make the secondary hood release. A couple of hood release threads on this forum had me look at my Jeep. In the case of the Dodge Ram owner, he was unable to release the hood as the cable broke at the latch. On the Ram there is no easy access. You break the grill or reach in with a wrench, if you can. The Ram owner was able to reach in with a wrench.

On my Jeep the grill is held by 4 screws; two on top and two in front. The top screws would be a challenge to remove with the hood closed. So, today, I add the secondary hood release to my Jeep.

Here is how you add one. I used aviation stainless steel .041 safety wire since I have plenty on hand. You can get this type wire at Harbor Freight Tools or use another suitable wire. Measure a length that runs from the hood latch to the bottom of the bumper beneath the headlight fixture. Add 2.5 feet to that length. Remove the grill for easier access. I found it best to work from the top of the latch. Insert the wire thru the top of the latch, on the front side of the smaller spring and under the release latch that the Jeep hood cable pulls. You can see this release latch thru the side hole below the Jeep hood cable. Pull the wire until you have about 1 foot left.

Take the 1 foot piece and insert it thru the top of the latch, in front of the smaller spring but on top of the release latch. What you are doing is looping the wire around the release latch. Pull both wires thru until it touches the release latch. At this point you can test the wire. Pull both ends of the wire and it should pull the release latch. The spring will return it to the rest position.

Now form a large loop in the wire around the release latch and twist the short end around the long end. You want a large loop so it floats while not being used. Run the long end of the wire behind the bumper by the headlight fixture. There are some holes in that area. Pass the wire thru a hole and attach it to a convenient spot behind the bumper. Leave a loop in the wire so you can grab it. Cut off all excess wire. I wrapped some tape around the small twisted part of the wire.

This is actually easier to do than to explain.

Now should your Jeep hood release cable break in a spot where you cannot open the hood, just pull the secondary wire.

This hood release may be used on other vehicles. You just have to check the hood latch. Now I have peace of mind with both my vehicles.

Name:  IMG_0674.jpg
Views: 3044
Size:  82.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0675.jpg
Views: 2934
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0676.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0677.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  73.0 KB
Old 10-29-2012, 10:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95

Thats really a great idea, thanks for the suggestion. If a little attention to detail is made you could hide that auxillary cable/wire if worried about others seeing or using it.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by jnicewan
Thats really a great idea, thanks for the suggestion. If a little attention to detail is made you could hide that auxillary cable/wire if worried about others seeing or using it.
I was going to include that point that you can hide the wire. You can see a support pipe, in the last picture, that you can use that to hide the wire. Once the grill is in place it is not that visible. Visibility is not an issue for me.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Aviation safety wire is so nice. It pains me not to have instant access to it anymore.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Thanks for posting another one of your great ideas.