Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Electronic Shift Module vs Solenoids

Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2006
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6
Default Electronic Shift Module vs Solenoids

I am new to the forum. I feel like I've been ripped off by the "stealership". My 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo was in the dealership in February for some simple transmission job. Apparently I had a transmission fluid leak and had burnt fluid, which they had to replace a couple things. At that time the mechanic asked if I ever had my check engine light come on and go off. I told him I did. He said we got a code for the electronic shift module. He said not necessary to replace now, but you will probably have to in the future. Well, the car started to not shift gears every once in a while. I would come to a stop, step on the gas and the car would be revving up to 2500 rpms and hardly moving. Once it got going it would hang at 2000-2500 rpms. I could turn it off and back on and it would be fine for a day, sometimes, and hour. I called the jeep dealer and got the code for the Elec Shift Module. My son-in-law ran the code and was getting a code for the solenoids in the transmission, not the shift module. At that point I didn't know what to do, so I told him to just go ahead and replace the elec shift module as that was the code jeep told me it was. He replaced it, code disappeared, and it ran like a charm... for one week. The same thing was happening all over again. I took it back to the "stealership" and he told me he was getting a different code now. The code for the solenoids my son-in-law got before putting in the elec shift module. I told the jeep mechanic the shift module was replaced because thats what they told me it needed. Mechanic said "that was the code we got back in February. Now they want to charge me $1500 for a new Valve body, and most of the parts I just paid for in February for my Transmission (fluid, filter, adapter plugs, etc) He said he didnt recommend just replacing the solenoids because they wouldn't last.
My question is if it is the solenoids, why was my car working fine for a week after replacing the shift module. Also, the car has the exact same problem it had before. Do these two (or three) parts do the same thing? I mean help me understand if I now need a different part, why is my car doing the same thing when they told me it was the shift module?
I might add, I am a female (as you can see in my name) this doesn't make sense to me. Please help me understand.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I suspect there is something wrong with it that they are not seeing. Why was the fluid burnt to start with? I think there is an internal problem with the transmission itself and throwing expensive parts at it is a waste of money. IMO, you should take it to a GOOD transmission shop for diagnosis. I hate to say this, but you may need an overhaul.