Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

dumps water..

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default dumps water..

So i have a 98 limited with 5.2. I don't drive it very often, but when it is used fairly regularly, it needs water put it in on a regular basis. When the a/c is on, the water dumps a lot quicker and temp will rise even quicker. idling or running the a/c or even being in a line at a fast food place will make the engine start to overheat. But when the a/c runs, it starts to dump a little water into the passenger floorboard. Now i am going to try and find the drain plug and clean it out and replace the thermostat thats less than 8 months old, but any other suggestions or ideas? This jeep will be going up for sale soon, and I don't want to leave the new owners with the problem if i can help it.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

When you say water, do you mean coolant? Coolant on the floor on the passenger's side is a pretty good indication of a heater core leak. Also, the A/C creates condensation that must be drained away. There is a drain in the unit that's probably plugged.

To check if the heater core is leaking, bypass the heater by running the hose from the thermostat back into the water pump. Then if your radiator stays full, you've got a leaking heater core. Clean out the drain in the A/C unit and see if that stops the water as well.

I recommend this because to replace the heater core, the entire dash (or most of it) needs to be removed to fix it.