Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Driver's Seat Repair 2001 Gr. Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Driver's Seat Repair 2001 Gr. Cherokee

My Jeep's driver's seat (the electric, automatic type) is almost completely detached from the bracket. The metal has evidently become fatigued, and split and broken off. It is really not driveable, but I'm driving it anyway because I need to get to work! Also, the end of the bar that raises the seat up and down are broken.

I've asked my mechanic to search out a junkyard seat bracket for replacement, but apparently this is a known issue with this model, and there are simply no seats to be found.

I did find a site that offers a replacement (and supposedly stronger) seat bracket kit: http://www.jeepseatbracket.com/the-problem.html. The photos show precisely what is wrong with my seat.

Has anyone ever dealt with this company? I've called the toll-free number for a couple days running, and have been forwarded into their voicemail. I wouldn't hesitate to order the repair kit online if I could get a positive heads-up from someone who has successfully dealt with Jeepseatbracket.com.

Perhaps there are other repair kit companies that could be recommended? I could get a new kit from the dealer for $800, but that's outside my budget right now.

Alternatively, does anyone have a seat they want to sell me (hehe)?

Thanks very much for any help -- much appreciated!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by Paul211
My Jeep's driver's seat (the electric, automatic type) is almost completely detached from the bracket. The metal has evidently become fatigued, and split and broken off. It is really not driveable, but I'm driving it anyway because I need to get to work! Also, the end of the bar that raises the seat up and down are broken.

I've asked my mechanic to search out a junkyard seat bracket for replacement, but apparently this is a known issue with this model, and there are simply no seats to be found.

I did find a site that offers a replacement (and supposedly stronger) seat bracket kit: http://www.jeepseatbracket.com/the-problem.html. The photos show precisely what is wrong with my seat.

Has anyone ever dealt with this company? I've called the toll-free number for a couple days running, and have been forwarded into their voicemail. I wouldn't hesitate to order the repair kit online if I could get a positive heads-up from someone who has successfully dealt with Jeepseatbracket.com.

Perhaps there are other repair kit companies that could be recommended? I could get a new kit from the dealer for $800, but that's outside my budget right now.

Alternatively, does anyone have a seat they want to sell me (hehe)?

Thanks very much for any help -- much appreciated!
Welcome to CF.
No, I've never dealt with that company, sorry. But you might have some luck looking for a seat on this Grand Cherokee forum. >http://www.nagca.com/forum/
Then look in the For Sale Section.
Good luck.

Last edited by ol"blue; 06-22-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Go to the boneyard and pull the brackets off of another power seat out of the same year ZJ.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:22 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 6 Cyl 4.0

Just take your seat out, and take to someone who has a mig welder...
Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 AM

Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Seat Bracket

I just completed a repair using the jeepseatbracket kit. I would recommend this to everyone. They have 2 different versions and I purchased the New Deluxe Kit (No Drilling) for $199. This was a fairly easy install.

My Carmax location wanted $550 in advance for a replacement frame and would install the frame once in came in for another $250.

Last edited by chuck30044; 07-06-2011 at 10:03 AM.