Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Deactivate Skim?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 v8...
Default Deactivate Skim?

Does anyone know of any reputable companies that sell modified ecu/pcm's with the skim deactivated? It's an 01 WJ, 4.7 Laredo with 171k on the clock. Im hoping to get a spare key made next week when Im in Dallas but if not I need to find a replacement ecu/pcm thats either never seen skim or has had it disabled. I need to have at least one spare key for emergencies, which at this point I can't do due to location. Its -11 and dropping here where Im at in Alaska..
Old 11-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

If you only have one key, get a dealer in Dallas to program another for you. They can do it with a DRB III scan tool. Once you have 2, you can program as many as you want with the SKIM module in the jeep. Well...Up to 6. It's cheaper and easier than changing a PCM!
Old 11-29-2016, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.7 v8...

Thanks. Thats what I was hoping to hear.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:41 AM
Old fart with a wrench

What most people don't realize is the keys are made with a built-in code and the SKIM must be programmed to recognize it, not the other way around. The 2 factory keys have an additional "secret" code in them that the SKIM recognizes. It's sort of like a mother with 2 birth children. She can adopt others, but the first 2 are hers alone. You'll have to check with the dealer about whether or not the new key he makes will activate the "self programming" function built into the SKIM.

With my WJ, the 2 original keys are grey and brown. Any keys you buy to program are black. The self programming function works like this; put the first key in and turn it on, turn it off then put the second key in and turn it on, then off. Finally put the new key in, turn it on and wait. When the crossed-out key icon turns off, it's programmed. The SKIM will store up to 6 key codes.

BTW, I got all this information from the FSM I downloaded from pacificcoastmanuals.com. It's 93 mbs of compressed pdf files for $7.99+tax.

Last edited by dave1123; 11-30-2016 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:37 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Knowledgeable One

When Dave1123 posts, I learn something.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Steve your right Dave is the man! I was lucky with mine I got 2 keys with it a Black one and a Brown one, both say Jeep on them. With these keys when you unlock the doors it sits the seats, mirrors, peddles for that person with that remote. I though that was a really nice feature on mine hell the Lincoln doesn't even do that.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Fred, I don't know whether you're aware of this, but world opinion of Jeep is going into the toilet since FCA started building them. There have been major problems with reliability, fit, and finish of the premier model, the Grand Cherokee, and the other models haven't fared very well either. It seems to be centered around the new transmissions. I'm thinking I'll fix this one until it can't be repaired any longer, then look for another bridge to cross.

Since This will probably be my last, or at least newest, jeep, I've put everything I can into learning whatever I can about the WJ. Your original post about the Pacific Coast FSM has been the cornerstone of my learning. Your WJ is the premier model where mine is the cheap basic model. I'm kind of glad I DON'T have all the bells and whistles because I think I'd be lost trying to work on it then.

BUT that's why I'm stuck here in Grand Cherokee Tech. I owned a ZJ for a short time so I'm familiar with them, but my experience is limited.

What's quite amusing is Chrysler started downhill in 82 with the sale of Chrysler Defense and Jeep became their best seller after that. Well....There was the Dodge Caravan!

Last edited by dave1123; 11-30-2016 at 02:31 PM.